User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OF Junior Member boostedsupratt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for M Davis: Silencers in florida???

First off I would like to thank M Davis for taking the time out to post on this board from time to time. I read the M Davis Sticky at the top and this topic is not covered in detail.

I have always assumed that is was extremely difficult to legally own handgun silencers and short barrel shotguns (less than 18" barrel or 26" overall length) However, the more I research the topic the more I am beginning to believe that it is much easier than I thought (at least in theory).

My question is: after paying the $200.00 Federal Transfer Tax, completing other fees and paperwork, etc, and the signature of the Chief Law Enforcement Officer is requested....is this signature typically declined or approved???

Have you heard of this before???

Here is one link i found... http://www.internationalpolicesupply.net/ownmg.htm
    94' Supra 6spd 774 rwhp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of CLEO's will not sign off on them. As such, you see alot of people forming LLC's or Trusts (which avoid the CLEO and FIngerprints all together.)

Once youhave that, it is literally the form 1 or 4, and then the $200 check. Wait about 30 days, and voila!

UK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So setting up under a LLC is a work around on the silencer ? Is there a stipulation as to a person who has already paid their tax stamp & been cleared having to be a owner/manager ? It'd be neat to put one on the p22.
    "I believe that when we overdo our military aggressiveness, it actually weakens our national defense. I mean, we stood up to the Soviets. They had 40,000 nuclear weapons. Now we're fretting day in and day and night about third-world countries that have no army, navy or air force. " -Ron Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the disposal business are we?

Quote Originally Posted by calaboot01 View Post
    white people just have to sit back and take this ass raping for the next 200 years. then after that well be even.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike View Post
    Personally I would have fucked him in the ass , that's a good deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    87 RX-7 TII
    Loud and slow

Ric
    OF Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a to have a Class III licence to own a silencer or you can face up to 20 years in prison. Unless your former military or LEO, It's never going to happen.

If you expect a 9mm handgun with a silencer to sound like James Bond on the movies, your dead wrong. It is still very loud that most people still have to wear earplugs, even with subsonic rounds. The only quiet handguns i've ever seen, is a company in Tampa called Serbu created a silenced .22 with the whole barrell being the silencer, shooting subsonic ammo, and it was still about as loud as a basic firecracker.
    2010 BMW 328i
    2003 Chaparral 215 SSI

OF Junior Member boostedsupratt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoarerTT View Post
    You need a to have a Class III licence to own a silencer or you can face up to 20 years in prison. Unless your former military or LEO, It's never going to happen.

If you expect a 9mm handgun with a silencer to sound like James Bond on the movies, your dead wrong. It is still very loud that most people still have to wear earplugs, even with subsonic rounds. The only quiet handguns i've ever seen, is a company in Tampa called Serbu created a silenced .22 with the whole barrell being the silencer, shooting subsonic ammo, and it was still about as loud as a basic firecracker.
    You don't need a class III license, you just have to pay the transfer tax and get signed off. I've shot several different suppressors and the .22 w subsonic ammo is virtually silent. A .40 cal with one is a lot quieter but still sounds like somebody hitting a piece of metal with a hammer. I'm trying to get one for my ar15 to quiet it up...
    94' Supra 6spd 774 rwhp

Ric
    OF Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. I think who-ever stands next to you will love you. Those damn flash suppressors about blow my sunglasses off when someone has a bushmaster/ar15/whatever shooting next to me
    2010 BMW 328i
    2003 Chaparral 215 SSI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, If you form a corp or a trust, there is no CLEO signoff, nor fingerprints. It is all perfectly legal too! (You still have to pay the ATF their $200 as well as wait for approval before converting to a SBR or receiving your Surpressor.)

UK

Ric
    OF Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ugh, thats so easy to do and I dont like telling people about it. Any idiot can then go out and buy a machine gun for the price of going to a ghetto lawyer and forming a corporation.
    2010 BMW 328i
    2003 Chaparral 215 SSI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh. It's funny watching someone on a .22 rental 'trying out' guns and someone in the lane next to them pulls out a .45 and starts unloading.

First shot is always the best. hahaha. "WTF" looking around the wall at the barrel on the other side.

A can would definitely be cool for the little walther though. I've gotten a chance to listen to one fire, at its loudest it sounds like a little firecracker going off.

I wouldn't ever care to put one on the 1911 or AR though. I am in the market for a nice brake though
    "I believe that when we overdo our military aggressiveness, it actually weakens our national defense. I mean, we stood up to the Soviets. They had 40,000 nuclear weapons. Now we're fretting day in and day and night about third-world countries that have no army, navy or air force. " -Ron Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoarerTT View Post
    ugh, thats so easy to do and I dont like telling people about it. Any idiot can then go out and buy a machine gun for the price of going to a ghetto lawyer and forming a corporation.
    There is one thing that generally stops that...

There is not much in Machine gun world you can buy for under 3k, on top of the stamps....

UK

OF Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid, we used to make our own silencers for our guns. They were mostly .22s but we would take a paper tube from a roll of paper towels and tape it to the end of a .22 rifle and make it reaaaalllly quiet. We had some success with toilet paper tubes on .22 revolvers. We never found anything that would quiet down an automatic pistol (or anything that would stay attached more than one shot).

Fun times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just 2 b a lil more correct, they r not silencers, since they dont silence, they r suppressors-idk if i spelled that right-since they partially supress but do not silence, just 2 b correct, im sure no1 cares though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your right

Quote Originally Posted by calaboot01 View Post
    white people just have to sit back and take this ass raping for the next 200 years. then after that well be even.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike View Post
    Personally I would have fucked him in the ass , that's a good deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barrett .50cal and 1600 meters off and you dont need a silencer.

Ric
    OF Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most guns if you shoot past a few hundred yards you do not need a silencer, whatever your shooting is dead before the sound reaches them. The problem with most silencer/suppressors, and why the military does not use them is if you miss, its ALOT easier to pinpoint where the sound came from giving away your position due to alot of reasons.

That junk is just for movies. Even if your using a silenced .22 subsonic, to get close enough range to confirm a kill, you might as well just use a knife. Most people even trained can't shoot a .40 handgun good enough to even hit someone past 20 yards. Ever shoot a tec9? Its just a fancy noise maker.

Earplugs is the most effective gun suppressor/silencer :)
    Last edited by Ric; 03-16-2007 at 09:47 AM.
    2010 BMW 328i
    2003 Chaparral 215 SSI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a silencer on my 9mm, don't ask how i got it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "How'd you get it ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i AM KINDA CONFUSED ABOUT THE QUESTION AT HAND? i JUST RECENTLY MOVED TO FLORIDA AND I CARRY A SPRINGFIELD 45. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT A SUPPRESSOR AND OR SILENCER? YALL GOING TO GO HUNT WITH IT? I mean really, the only reason to own a suppressor is if your a hit man and it isnt a psst psst you can still hear it. Me personally i like the sound of my 45 when it goes off plugs or no plugs. I carry daily, and if i need to pull it out to take care of a threat i dont give a rats ass if they can hear it or not i am going to put all 10 in the chest. So why have a suppresor. And as for the comment of most people can not shoot at 20 yards away seriously? whos going to try to make a kill shot at 20 yards away. I been shooting for 5 years and i can put 3 in the chest and one to the head from 21 ft runing towards me. at a stand still standing up i can take two to the head from 40 ft if u got an attacker at 40 feet there is a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information