User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roommate kicked me out and won't give back my belongings.

Hello. I am in need of help. I have been kicked out of a house that is leased under my friend's name. And I've been unemployed for a month trying so hard to get a job. But he isn't involved and expects me to get a job within a week worth of job hunting. It's been a month since he "did me a favor and let me stay there for free." And now he got upset that I can't get a job and he locked me out of the house after coming home from job hunting and told me that I'm trespassing and that he has every right to hold my personal belongings since I owe him $950 worth of rent (now claiming 1500 becuz now he wants to throw in that extra month that he says that he was willing to let me stay for free) from the past month. I told him I will try my best to pay him back whenever I get a job but instead he attacked me physically and violently and told me to leave the property and that I can't get my stuff back. Please help! I can't even get my clothes or bed back! Please tell me step by step what to do to get it back legally! I'm about to just call 9-11 when I get there! Thank you.
    1995 Toyota Celica *SOLD*
    1993 Honda Prelude Si VTEC *SOLD*
    1988 Toyota MR2 *SOLD*
    1990 240SX SE Coupe *SOLD*
    1993 Toyota MR2 Non-Turbo (Boooo) *SOLD*
    1993 240SX SE Coupe

"Just becuz you got yellow foglights, a front lip, and painted your rims doesn't make you JDM. "
    "You're painting your rims green!? Wth? You might as well paint your car purple and your nails pink while you're at it. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you get your mail sent to the address? if so you have a legal right to be there and he has to go through the legal process to evict you.

Gin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, all of my mail go to that address.
    1988 Toyota MR2 *SOLD*
    1993 240SX SE Coupe

"Just becuz you got yellow foglights, a front lip, and painted your rims doesn't make you JDM. "
    "You're painting your rims green!? Wth? You might as well paint your car purple and your nails pink while you're at it. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    call the cops, tell them what happened and he will be forced to let you in to at least get your belongings.

Gin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about it since the OPD isn't getting back to me about this situation. I just gotta find a big car to load my stuff into. Thanks Dj Z.
    1988 Toyota MR2 *SOLD*
    1993 240SX SE Coupe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't even have to get mail sent there... If you have an established residence, which could be determined so upon many possible factors, then you have every right to enter the house... The fact he has your stuff and is holding it hostage pretty much proves you had an established residence.

You could enter the house by breaking the door down, and you would have every right to do so... You would likely end up having to pay for the door, but you have every right to enter your place of dwelling. You could do so when he is not there, to avoid confrontation, but you have the right to do so.

I would however, suggest the same as Dj Z.. Call the police, explain the situation, and they will assist... Just don't expect it to be within minutes.. This kinda stuff is not a high priority for them.
    "This is my kung-fu and it is strong." --Rat

OF Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know if you pay rent they have to give you 30 days notice
    but if you havent payed anything not sure what rules apply, im sure you can get your stuff back though
    good luck rdv sportsplex is always hiring you should look online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kick his ass!!!then get your belongings
    I tea-bagged your drum set!

AKA RioRedCobra99

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    dont' call 911. Call the switchboard and ask for non-emergency assistance for the situation you explained.
    www.facebook.com/99slobra

Couple of K5's. Lifted.

Molon Labe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rokudan View Post
    You could enter the house by breaking the door down, and you would have every right to do so... You would likely end up having to pay for the door, but you have every right to enter your place of dwelling. You could do so when he is not there, to avoid confrontation, but you have the right to do so.
    You won't have to pay for the door, I have spoken with many a lawyer/LEO about this one, when I wanted to change the locks on my house from a physco x-g/f; and found out that since she established residency, and did have belongs still left, she could legally use any force that is necessary to get into the house, and any damage caused would be my own responsibility to fix the damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike View Post
    :-P

I definitely get my shit pushed in from time to time.

*** TO BE ANNOUNCED ***

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonic View Post
    You won't have to pay for the door, I have spoken with many a lawyer/LEO about this one, when I wanted to change the locks on my house from a physco x-g/f; and found out that since she established residency, and did have belongs still left, she could legally use any force that is necessary to get into the house, and any damage caused would be my own responsibility to fix the damage.
    That would have been because you changed the locks, or in some manner have altered the premises in order to deny access. That changes things...

Otherwise, any damage would be the responsibility of whoever caused it... If me, living here, gets locked out because I forget/lose my key, whatever.. And I bust my door down to get in, I am responsible for the costs of repair...

Yogi Racing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin View Post
    Hello. I am in need of help. I have been kicked out of a house that is leased under my friend's name. And I've been unemployed for a month trying so hard to get a job. But he isn't involved and expects me to get a job within a week worth of job hunting. It's been a month since he "did me a favor and let me stay there for free." And now he got upset that I can't get a job and he locked me out of the house after coming home from job hunting and told me that I'm trespassing and that he has every right to hold my personal belongings since I owe him $950 worth of rent (now claiming 1500 becuz now he wants to throw in that extra month that he says that he was willing to let me stay for free) from the past month. I told him I will try my best to pay him back whenever I get a job but instead he attacked me physically and violently and told me to leave the property and that I can't get my stuff back. Please help! I can't even get my clothes or bed back! Please tell me step by step what to do to get it back legally! I'm about to just call 9-11 when I get there! Thank you.
    I've been in this exact situation before. But, I was the one doing the evicting. What did you expect if you've had over a month to establish new income and have done nothing for a few weeks to do so? Your lucky he allowed you to stay there for free...

Think of it from his perspective, the bills still have to be payed no matter what your situation. You have to grow up..! I supported my roomate for two months, and in the end never recieved any money back that was promised. Haven't spoke to him since..

Sorry no pitty. Colatteral is all he has left....
    MARK
    91' TSI FWD (SOLD)
    90' TSI AWD (Stage-???)

"DSM's, turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtalonracing View Post
    Sorry no pitty.
    How very kind/caring of you... Having no pity for someone who is down and out, but is trying...

I had a friend, who was on hard times as well... Having a spare bedroom, I offered it to her at no charge, until she could get back on her feet.. It didn't cost me anything to do so, the room was unused anyway... So what's the big deal??

Oh yeah, perhaps the water/power bills went up a total of 50 bucks or so.. Big deal...

This world would be a better place if people like you cared a little bit more about their fellow man... Perhaps one day you will fall upon bad times, and you will understand what it is like... Maybe then your opinion will change..

And for the record, that 'collateral' you speak of, he has no legal right to hold.. At least not based upon that which has been stated by the original poster.

Disclaimer: The above response assumes certain variables.. If however your situation simply involved a sponging deadbeat, I rescind my statement...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most everybody is right. So let's take the pieces that are correct and put them into a nice little package:

1) It appears you have established residency. If this is, in fact, the case then an eviction is required.
    2) Belongings can not be held for ransom.
    3) Call the non emergency number for the LEO agency for that jurisdiction and get them involved. I recommend meeting them around the corner, explain the situation and then drive to the residence with them following.
    4) Do not break down doors without LEO present. You don't need anyone shooting you and then trying to claim the Castle Doctrine. SAFETY FIRST!
    5) Do not initiate the assistance from LEO until you are completely prepared to move all of your belongings out within a 15 minute window. Have bags, help and transportation lined up and on standby awaiting LEO's arrival. Plan to wiat since calls like this are lower priority.
    6) Communal items in communal areas can create issues if he claims ownership when you claim ownership. Items include TV's, stereo's, toasters etc. Rule of thumb is, if it is in a communal area (living room, kitchen etc.) and ownership can not be established through receipts or documentation the item stays and will have to be settled by civil courts.
    7) When all is said and done and you're back on your feet; don't be a schmuck, even the score and pay up. Apologize for the inconvenience and move on. This is not to impress him but to bolster your own well being of taking ownership of your situations. You'll thank yourself later. Failure to do so will put bad karma in your backseat.

Good luck!

316.126 - MOVE OVER - When approaching an emergency vehicle or wrecker on the roadside you shall: vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle/wrecker or slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater; or travel at 5 miles per hour when the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, when driving on a two-lane road

316.191 - Street racing penalties -
    First time caught; misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,000, and the department shall revoke the driver license of a person so convicted for 1 year.
    Second time caught; misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $3,000, revoke the driver license of that person for 2 years.
    Third time caught; commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $2,000 and not more than $5,000, revoke the driver license of that person for 4 years.
    Any motor vehicle used in violation of subsection (2) by any person within 5 years after the date of a prior conviction of that person for a violation under subsection (2) may be seized and forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ The only thing I disagree with Davis on, is the toaster... Do not, under any circumstance, let this guy keep the toaster!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rokudan View Post
    ^ The only thing I disagree with Davis on, is the toaster... Do not, under any circumstance, let this guy keep the toaster!!!!

There's always one in the bunch

316.126 - MOVE OVER - When approaching an emergency vehicle or wrecker on the roadside you shall: vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle/wrecker or slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater; or travel at 5 miles per hour when the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, when driving on a two-lane road

First time caught; misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,000, and the department shall revoke the driver license of a person so convicted for 1 year.
    Second time caught; misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $3,000, revoke the driver license of that person for 2 years.
    Third time caught; commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $2,000 and not more than $5,000, revoke the driver license of that person for 4 years.
    Any motor vehicle used in violation of subsection (2) by any person within 5 years after the date of a prior conviction of that person for a violation under subsection (2) may be seized and forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had a big house in my name when I was 22 and i rented some of the rooms out to needy friends. One guy told everyone, including his family, about how he got this girl pregnant and had all these doctors bills for her. I let him move in for two months straight and had him do chores like fixing the jacuzzi and cleaning the pool. Turns out he had a coke problem and lied about all that crap. Then at the same time I had this hooters girl and her almost 4 yr old kid move in. I rented her her own 12x15 room with walk in closet, her own bathroom, and a seperate 10x12 room for her son, all for 450 a month (including utilities). At first she paid rent regularly. then it started to go wrong. She made good money but she just didnt pay after a while. Soon she owed me over 1200 bucks. And I caught her doing coke too. So I kick her out and held her furniture ransom. Unfortunately she left a sex tape in her stuff that another roommate found and showed everyone, LOL. All in all I had 6 roommates in 6 months at that house before they got me evicted. Im done trying to help people. With interest and lawyer fees it took me paying 235 a month for 5 yrs to pay off that BS.
    1993 Rx7 converting to the darkside!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M Davis View Post
    There's always one in the bunch
    That's what my family says as well.. But I am pretty sure they are speaking to my uncanny good looks!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ wow! I've heard and seen the horror stories of rentals. I would never, ever get in that business for those very reasons. Just saying, examples like this is why there is such a divide in neighborhoods betweens "the renters" and "the owners". Don't get me wrong, I understand there is the good and bad from both sides however, I've seen very nice neighborhoods take a dive when many houses became "rentals".

Get boost or die tryin' SuperDipz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resistance is futile!
    2003 Mitsubishi EVOLUTION VIII.
    Built by Speed Factory
    RGO.
    Tuned by Jun Kitami (北見 淳), "Tuner from Hell".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information