User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vehicle Pursuits

MDavis, I have been wondering recently how common police pursuits are, these days. I get the impression that car-thieves usually run without a second's hesitation. But, realistically, how often to officers actually come upon stolen cars? Also, how many DUI suspects run? I hear about car chases on the news not nearly as often as I would suspect that they actually occur.
    New Members: Recommended Reading Materials

Quote Originally Posted by Zan View Post
    interesting facts most time when someone write an interesting fact that fact isn't that interesting
    that the op is intelligent which we discovered to be not true

It's not that serious.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had these same thoughts myself. I look forward to the response.
    I can photograph any subject you require, with class and great results.

PM me for information.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy
    So I'm reading this and thinking 'yep, I agree, I agree, mhmm, yep, I agree, that's right,etc.' And all of a sudden I'm thinking you all just need to fuck and get it over with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For an authorized pursuit to occur it requires, in most cases, that it reach the threshold of a violent felony being committed. However, each agency has their own policy when it comes to pursuits. 9 out of 10 pursuits end within minutes of them starting. Therefore, the news does not cover these events. Believe it or not we spend a great deal of effort trying to prevent a pursuit from even beginning. A pursuit is a very scary situation because of so many uncontrollable variables. So, we tactically position resources that will inhibit someone's ability to run. Or we wait and let the bad guy slip up before closing in.

316.126 - MOVE OVER - When approaching an emergency vehicle or wrecker on the roadside you shall: vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle/wrecker or slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater; or travel at 5 miles per hour when the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, when driving on a two-lane road

316.191 - Street racing penalties -
    First time caught; misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,000, and the department shall revoke the driver license of a person so convicted for 1 year.
    Second time caught; misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $3,000, revoke the driver license of that person for 2 years.
    Third time caught; commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $2,000 and not more than $5,000, revoke the driver license of that person for 4 years.
    Any motor vehicle used in violation of subsection (2) by any person within 5 years after the date of a prior conviction of that person for a violation under subsection (2) may be seized and forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What if someone is speeding, and the officer attempts a traffic stop (lights/sirens), and that person attempts to elude? Isn't that considered "a violent felony?" Felony Fleeing to Elude right? Is it at that point the officer must decide to pursue, or does he/she have to get permission to continue a "high speed chase?"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would think a violent felony must have been committed for a chase to start.
    www.facebook.com/99slobra

Couple of K5's. Lifted.

Molon Labe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I would think a violent felony must have been committed for a chase to start.
    I know COPS is an old show, and most of the stuff they show is from the 90's, but I see chases on there that start simply because when they ran the tag it came up that the owner of the vehicle has a suspended license, they attempt a stop, and the suspect runs, and they follow until a crash or whatever. This could have changed, obviously, but I thought it was always the officers decision to pursue.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh that def used to be the case but now I'm sure its way different with newer policies.
    www.facebook.com/99slobra

Couple of K5's. Lifted.

Molon Labe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each agency has their own policy in regards to pursuits. The individual officer makes the decision to pursue or not and the supervisor has the right to allow it to continue or not. If they pursue within policy guidelines and something bad were to happen the agency would back that officer. If they are outside of policy and bad things happen then the officer is hung out to dry and takes on personal liability. Pursuits today, as opposed to the 90's, is much more strict and for good reason.

316.126 - MOVE OVER - When approaching an emergency vehicle or wrecker on the roadside you shall: vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle/wrecker or slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater; or travel at 5 miles per hour when the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, when driving on a two-lane road

First time caught; misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,000, and the department shall revoke the driver license of a person so convicted for 1 year.
    Second time caught; misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $3,000, revoke the driver license of that person for 2 years.
    Third time caught; commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, pay a fine of not less than $2,000 and not more than $5,000, revoke the driver license of that person for 4 years.
    Any motor vehicle used in violation of subsection (2) by any person within 5 years after the date of a prior conviction of that person for a violation under subsection (2) may be seized and forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act.

Sorry its my first day Sohcvtec1995's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unless its FHP. they chase to the grave
    Quote Originally Posted by TEDDER1 View Post
    Now I don't work for NASA, but I think you might have missed the window of opportunity.
    "owning a Type R is like a dream, you wake up and its gone."
    Wanna be a sponsor?
    http://www.orlandoforums.com/forum/payments.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M Davis View Post
    So, we tactically position resources that will inhibit someone's ability to run.
    What does this mean?

Are you saying that officers will lay out things like spike-strips to stop cars that try to evade officers rather than pursue them?

Or, are you saying that, now, before initiating a traffic stop, officers are more likely to have a greater number of units present to deter a suspect from running?

interesting facts most time when someone write an interesting fact that fact isn't that interesting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA View Post
    What does this mean?

Are you saying that officers will lay out things like spike-strips to stop cars that try to evade officers rather than pursue them?

Or, are you saying that, now, before initiating a traffic stop, officers are more likely to have a greater number of units present to deter a suspect from running?
    It's all dependant upon the situation. If conducting a regular traffic stop and the person just takes off there's not much that can be done. If there is prior knowledge the individual will most likely run then resources (helicopter, K9, back up units) are tactically placed to minimize that course of action. The last thing we want is a pursuit even if it is authorized. The action of a pursuit is sometimes worse than shooting a gun. You can't control where that 3500 pound vehicle is going to go or who is going to get in the way of it. Spike strips and pit moves are meant to end a pursuit not prevent them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I understand. I rarely ever see only one officer conducting a traffic stop anymore. There is usually at least one unit behind the primary officer's car. I just am a little confused about how you would know who is behind the wheel of a car before pulling him over. I realize that you can see inside the car (provided that the windshield isn't tinted beyond all recognition) if it is coming in the opposite direction. How familiar do you become with certain perpetrators over time? Is it really the same group over and over again?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is dependant on the situation (I know I said that before). For example, you'll know when someone is hinked up. They spend more time watching the rear views than the road in front of them. You know somethings up so since time is on your side, for the most part, you begin setting a plan in motion with back up units. If a vehicle comes back as stolen then a whole new set of plans are hatched. Obviously, I won't go into detail but the idea revolves around preventing a pursuit situation. I've got the racers down pat. I've had so much success with fleeing and eluding charges that it just isn't fair. They do the same exact thing everytime I show up at the races that I simply adjusted my tactics to them. For most people the fleeing part is a spontaneous act whereas for some of the cops they've preplanned for this very thing.

Thread Information