User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brighthouse Networks - Anyone use their own cable box?

I have brighthouse networks digital cable and the service comes with one cable set-top box. The box is in my family room. I just bought another tv for my bedroom. It happens to be a HDTV with a builtin HD/Digital (ATSC) tuner. However when I hook it up the tv only shows analog channels and like one digital channel. Brighthouse networks said I need a cable box because they encrypt all their digital and HD signals. They want $9.95 for an additional HD set-top box! I then looked on eBay and found the exact same box brighthouse wants me to pay $9.95 a month for and it was only $50 on ebay! So I asked brighthouse if they would hook up my own cable box? And they said NO you have to rent it from us, we will not hook up any box other then our own... THIS IS BS! Anyone have any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thats kinda BS! But it's Brighthouse Proprietary, so it might have Brighthouse Proprietary Software. Go Brighthouse, I guess....
    07' Fit. "The Weekender, Snow Plow"
    07' Bombardier R143 4 Train "Daily Drive-n"

Zoom Zoom, No Go Boom DJ_SpaRky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that you know, owning a cable box is a Federal Crime (FCC), that's why it doesn't work, Brighthouse has to have access to it (thus it must be their's) to program it to allow only the channels that you are paying for. Am I saying that this is right, NO. I'm just saying how it is. Good luck with it either way.
    Code:
    DiabolicJourney_SpaRky

OF Junior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dj_sparky no it's not
    HOWEVER you do have to notify the cable company if you intend to use your own box, and most of the time they will not support it anyway so buying it wont help you unless your planning to hack it...

just suck it up and give in.. if you want the service you have to pay for it anyway

in theory you just have to give the serial number, but they wont let you because they dont want you to use a hacked box... which is allot harder with the digital ones since it's a full 2 way thing.. the box req. access and the server/service allows/deny's
    Last edited by omegatotal_werk; 08-23-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I bought the same box Brighthouse uses off of eBay and some how someone at brighthouse took the serial number and set it up in there computer, do you think it would work? Or does brighthouse change some internals on each box they buy before they rent it to you?

btw, I am definately not tring to do anything illegal. I am paying for brighthouse service, I just don't want to pay to rent another box for $10 a month when I could buy my own box for $50.

Thanks for the replys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have a cable ready tv you dont need a box, but you'll only get channels 2-98.
    i have only one digital box, but i have three tvs watching separate channels. just put the digital box in the room that gets viewed the most and the others tvs are just for news,sports ect.
    but sorry no other way to get hd unless you got that box.
    PROCHARGED 350Z

MOTOR BUILT AND ASSEMBLED BY
    www.underpressurerace.com

INTERNALS BALANCED BY
    http://www.powerhousemarineinc.com

TUNED BY ROLO AND SERGIO AT
    http://www.tunedbycft.com

Zoom Zoom, No Go Boom DJ_SpaRky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it must have changed since I got out of the cable industry, my bad. Good luck getting them to work with you on it.
    Code:
    DiabolicJourney_SpaRky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since 1996 you are able to own your own cable box.

The part that really sucks is that my TV has a built in Digital / HDTV Tuner. But I only get the analog channels like 2-78. Brighthouse scrables the digital and HDTV channels...

OF Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HD Tuner is for over-the-air signals, not through your cable connection. You will need an HD antenna for your house. Make sure its a built-in tuner though, and not an HD "Ready" box. BIG difference.

You can own your own box, but they'll never let you do it. Just rent it and suck it up like the rest of the world.. and BTW, the 9.95 should be for the HD DVR box, not the standard HD box. I believe the standard HD box is only a few bucks...
    Last edited by SSpiro; 08-25-2006 at 08:58 AM.
    2006 B6 Passat 2.0T - Daily Driver
    2005 F150 Lariat Supercrew - Weekend Warrior

OF Junior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well heres the problem tho, if they do "some how" put the serial number in the system, no1 knows if their billing software will detect it.. not to mention the box might be on the blocked lists, and that requires a higher level of tech support to get off the list without flagging you with stolen hardware

and one of the problems you might run into even if you do get your serial number added... is that the software might not be brighthouse and it might not be able to be flashed or updated over the wire... so you could be screwed there as far as everything goes..

Thread Information