User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Illegal immigrants can now enroll in community college in NJ

For the first time in nearly a decade, illegal immigrants will be allowed to take classes at the County College of Morris in a policy change that is drawing praise from some education officials and sharp criticism from immigration policy activists. The trustees at the Randolph-based college voted 7-1 earlier this week to reverse a rule barring undocumented students, school officials said. Starting this summer, the public two-year college will be one of the first schools in New Jersey to openly acknowledge it is enrolling illegal immigrants and allowing them to pay the same tuition rate as other county residents.

"Over the last two years, we’ve become aware of an increasing number of students who were educated in the public schools, who got good grades and, because of our policy, could not be educated here," said Edward Yaw, president of the County College of Morris. "They either had to attend other county colleges or pay significantly more to attend another school."
    The policy barring illegal immigrants was enacted in 2002 in response to security concerns following the 9/11 terrorist attacks. CCM’s reversal surprised many higher education officials and immigration activists who said the 8,800-student school was one of the only state colleges to actively bar illegal immigrants.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:
    • N.J. ranks in top 10 states with most college-degree holders, study says
    • County College of Morris cancels class for rest of week due to no air conditioning
    • County College of Morris relocates Morristown division to Schuyler Place office complex
    • County College of Morris in Randolph planning major capital improvements
    • County College of Morris offers classes training students on 'green industries'
    • Community colleges in N.J. are cutting back on smoking

Most of New Jersey’s two- and four-year colleges have a "don’t ask, don’t tell" policy when it comes to admitting illegal immigrants. Applicants are not asked for Social Security numbers when they apply, so the colleges do not know if they are in the country illegally.
    However, public colleges usually require illegal students to pay out-of-state tuition rates if they can’t prove they live in New Jersey legally. Undocumented students are also not eligible for state or federal financial aid.

CCM will be one of the first schools in the state to establish a clear set of rules for enrolling illegal students. Under the new policy, only students who are 35 or younger and graduated from a U.S. high school are eligible. Students must also prove they entered the U.S. before age 16 and lived in the country at least five consecutive years.

The illegal immigrant students will be charged Morris’ in-county tuition rates — $115 a credit or about $3,450 a year, plus fees, for a full-time student. "They can’t get federal or state financial aid," Yaw said.
    Critics believe it is wrong for a taxpayer-funded institution to openly admit illegal immigrants.

"The laws of our country need to be enforced and obeyed," said Ron Bass, founder of the United Patriots of America, a Linden-based group that has called for tougher immigration laws. "Morris County College is in violation of our federal law."
    Immigration activists said they consider the CCM policy change a major victory.

"I’m excited . . . We can tell that the tide is turning," said Marisol Conde-Hernandez, 23, an illegal immigrant enrolled at Rutgers University who has lobbied for more college access for undocumented students.
    In the past year, legislation that would have allowed illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition at New Jersey colleges failed to pass. The federal DREAM Act, which would have helped illegal students gain legal status, also failed to make it through Congress.

Other higher education officials praised the Morris County school for joining the New Jersey colleges enrolling illegal immigrants.

"The County College of Morris is taking a step in the right direction," said G. Jeremiah Ryan, president of Bergen Community College, which already admits undocumented students. "Bergen will continue to support the removal of barriers to educational opportunities for the students we serve."

County College of Morris votes to allow illegal immigrants to enroll in classes | NJ.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda weird how they don't require a SSN. Then again, I am sure colleges in New Jersey are desperate for any students they can get.
    Pics I took from CFRC: http://www.flickr.com/photos/luckvibe/sets/

╔═╦╗╔╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ Put This On
    ║═╣║║║╔╣╔╣╚╝║ Your OF Signature If
    ║╔╣╚╝║║║║╚╗╔╝ You Are Or <======
    ╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝ ╚╝ Support Furries! ♥

Certified TIG welder! 304 Stainless / 5052 Aluminum - Don't ask me welding questions.

I build plastic Airplanes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I don't pay taxes in NJ.... supporting a school system to educate people there illegally.

Maybe we should give financial aid, and if they don't qualify give them some scholarships...

Utter bullshit... and my wife and I are currently paying $1k a month in student loan payments while money is given to non-residents to attend.
    Quote Originally Posted by civic-si View Post
    I Luv Pr
    Pr Is Best
    No One Is Better
    We Are Kings
    We Are Sexy
    We Have Nice Nice Honda's
    We Fight Better Than All Of You
    We Have The Best LookIN Girls
    We Have Girls With The Fatest Asses
    And The Cutest Faceses
    We'r Not Gay Like You
    Quote Originally Posted by civic-si View Post
    We Are The Best In The World Punk Bitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is some serious bullshit.
    12.9 at 108
    Quote Originally Posted by HF_ops2005 View Post
    i love raw underground gorilla style street scene i guess.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28247112985342

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrong in all ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by McLude View Post
    Going for "stance" is what happens when a generation gives up on trying to be fast. Some of the cars look good, but some of them look outright ridiculous. A rim sticking 2 inches out of a stretched tire will never look cool... just really gay. At least it's cheaper and safer I guess.

OF Junior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great news. A lot of young minds who would else be without an education can finally get one. This type of change should spread to more colleges. I know that money and tax payer money and all that is a concern but if they do not get federal aid and dont pay instate tuition then I dont see a problem with them attending if they can gather up the money themselves. People need to realize that most young illegals who graduate from high school were brought here at a young age. They had no say when it came to coming here. Most of their lives was spent here so they are adapted to this country. I applaud the County College of Morris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen, if they get educated they will start getting uppity.

Certified TIG welder! 304 Stainless / 5052 Aluminum - Don't ask me welding questions.

Hyu
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be funny if it was a sting
    Detailing page

Quote Originally Posted by 89gotballz View Post
    Hyu is now Hyu again, Rusty larry or whatever was once hyu while so was all the other people. But after the most recent swap, hyu became hyu while dusty larry gave up hyu and became crusty larry

OF Junior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pluto316 View Post
    Listen, if they get educated they will start getting uppity.
    proof?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next thing you know they are going to start wanting rights. Not in my America.

OF Junior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rights they can have, after they go through the process for legalization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsperousGuardian79 View Post
    Schooling they can have, after they go through the process for legalization.
    fixed
    Werd Son!

It's not that serious.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn second class citizens, all wanting to get ahead, have some opportunities. Morons. Spanish is the new black.
    I can photograph any subject you require, with class and great results.

PM me for information.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy
    So I'm reading this and thinking 'yep, I agree, I agree, mhmm, yep, I agree, that's right,etc.' And all of a sudden I'm thinking you all just need to fuck and get it over with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    god **** man get a citizenship!!!
    and dont we give foreigners a visa to go to the school in the united states?
    I guess if you break the law these days its ok.
    "DSM, turning owners into mechanics since 1989"

It's not that serious.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997GST View Post
    god **** man get a citizenship!!!
    and dont we give foreigners a visa to go to the school in the united states?
    I guess if you break the law these days its ok.
    Going to college isn't a crime. Sure, not being a legal citizen is, but, if we keep them repressed (since kicking them out isn't the answer), they'll just continue to be leeches to the system. Get them educated, skilled, citizenship, and give them the chance to be a productive member of society, as opposed to the horrid creatures you view them as. Do you hate everything, or just what is different from yourself?
    Last edited by The Editor; 02-21-2011 at 02:25 PM.

PM me for information.

So I'm reading this and thinking 'yep, I agree, I agree, mhmm, yep, I agree, that's right,etc.' And all of a sudden I'm thinking you all just need to fuck and get it over with.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    **** the worthless piles of dog shit that are too ****ing pathetic, lazy and poor to come to this country legally and live off our government and our benefits. meanwhile honest hard working people spend up to years trying to get themselves into this country legally. i say we send every piece of shit drain illegal back to the shit hole they came from.
    12.9 at 108
    Quote Originally Posted by HF_ops2005 View Post
    i love raw underground gorilla style street scene i guess.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28247112985342

It's not that serious.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaracer View Post
    **** the worthless piles of dog shit that are too ****ing pathetic, lazy and poor to come to this country legally and live off our government and our benefits. meanwhile honest hard working people spend up to years trying to get themselves into this country legally. i say we send every piece of shit drain illegal back to the shit hole they came from.
    That's great, but it isn't going to happen. They're here, what do we do with them? I think an education is a great idea. Afterwards, if they return home, they can use their education to better their country (which would reduce the amount of them headed our way). Or, they can use that education here, to better help those with little understanding, to realize they're not all criminals, and can actually be productive members of society. I'd rather pay (which will inevitably happen), for someone's education, than pay for them to be in jail or thrown back to a third world country.

PM me for information.

OF Junior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunno View Post
    fixed
    bwoke

OF Junior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    Going to college isn't a crime. Sure, not being a legal citizen is, but, if we keep them repressed (since kicking them out isn't the answer), they'll just continue to be leeches to the system. Get them educated, skilled, citizenship, and give them the chance to be a productive member of society, as opposed to the horrid creatures you view them as. Do you hate everything, or just what is different from yourself?
    Finally someone who thinks some what similar to me. They need a chance become like you said "a productive member of society". A lot of people view them as leeches on our system and while this is true to some extent thats not the case for all of them. Some of them are honest, hardworking people and they should be given the chance to improve themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    That's great, but it isn't going to happen. They're here, what do we do with them? I think an education is a great idea. Afterwards, if they return home, they can use their education to better their country (which would reduce the amount of them headed our way). Or, they can use that education here, to better help those with little understanding, to realize they're not all criminals, and can actually be productive members of society. I'd rather pay (which will inevitably happen), for someone's education, than pay for them to be in jail or thrown back to a third world country.
    Couldnt have said it better myself. This actually has some validity to it.
    Last edited by The Editor; 02-21-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsperousGuardian79 View Post
    Rights they can have, after they go through the process for legalization.
    said it before, i'll say it again. our rights are based in our humanity, not in our citizenship...

"that ALL MEN, endowed by their CREATOR, with certain inalienable rights..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress
    According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul's Farewell Address
    Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong.
    أحمد حكمي

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information