Living in a Honda Sphere dropcivic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 in 2 grads under or unemployed

1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed | Fox News

Some noteworthy quotes.....

While there's strong demand in science, education and health fields, arts and humanities flounder.
    No shit really? People really think a humanites degree is a good idea?

"I don't even know what I'm looking for," says Michael Bledsoe, who described months of fruitless job searches as he served customers at a Seattle coffeehouse. The 23-year-old graduated in 2010 with a creative writing degree.
    Really fuckstick, did it come with a minor in underwater basket weaving?

College graduates who majored in zoology, anthropology, philosophy, art history and humanities were among the least likely to find jobs appropriate to their education level; those with nursing, teaching, accounting or computer science degrees were among the most likely.
    Who would of thought a usefull degree would land you a job easier?
    2007 Dodge ram hemi sport 4x4-superchips program, 125 shot of nitrous, airraid intake, 180 thermostat, banks exhaust
    1993 Honda civic HB-h22 and a little spray plus some other goodies-SOLD
    1989 ford mustang-powered by procharger

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    Ill smack the white back in her

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of the problem is kids in general do not know WTF they want in life, but they are ingrained with "goto college get a degree and you can get a job" and the sad reality of it is that is the biggest load of horse shit. To me personally the job market started it's crash when 9-11 happened, because I was in the middle of my college degree program at that time. And after I did graduate in 2003 with my degree in graphic design, there were little to no jobs for it in the market, verses when I did my "job search" class in 2001 (pre 9-11) they were plentiful.

What I find funny about this article is that none of these people who are graduating with 4 year degrees realize they can go be a teacher. Sure the pay isn't too hot, but its a lot better than minimum wage and it can help lead into a lot better job after a year or two, especially if you can get into a private school.

I don't know why but for some reason right now more than ever there is a HUGE push for college. When with our economy right now going back to school, or into it unless it is going to be 4-6 years before you are finished is foolish imo. People coming out of college right now are worse off than they have been in decades.

Me personally, I am about to finish my Microsoft certifications and they will pay off 100 fold more than if I was to go back to college and finish a 4 year program instead. I do plan to get my 4 year degree as well as my masters but not until I have been in the work field again for a year or so.
    IT services; virus removal, laptop repairs etc.
    Car Audio Installation and Enclosure Building

Mjolnir, my banhammer! V8TitanPwr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a huge push for college because college's need to make money too, just like any other business. They put all the college tuitions up and wonder why people are suffering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V8TitanPwr View Post
    There is a huge push for college because college's need to make money too, just like any other business. They put all the college tuitions up and wonder why people are suffering.

I agree that colleges need to make money, however there has always been a push for people to go to college but now it seems the push is MUCH HARDER. They are trying to educate or get more people educated and the problem with that is no one cares. The employment world doesn't want people who are gonna be worth $100k a year, they want 4 people worth $22k a year so they have more bodies and pay less. Or in some cases they offer salaries so low it's mind blowingly stupid. Such as a Masters Degree qualified position paying $12 per hour.

The employment sector isn't going to change while the economy is in the shitter though. When it does finally turn around they will find themselves in a pretty bad place as people who were working for peanuts with a mountain of education and experience will quickly move on to a job that pays what their education and experience dictate. And then these companies who have gotten away with paying shit wages with little to no benefits will have to buck up and really pay if they want to stay in business.

Right now if I was in the beginning of a college degree program and I was not in either Computer Science/Information Technology/Medical I would change my field to one of those immediately. As those types of jobs will always be around, and there will always be demand, as well as they are all over the US/World so you can literally be employed anywhere.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dropcivic View Post
    1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed | Fox News

Some noteworthy quotes.....

No shit really? People really think a humanites degree is a good idea?

Really fuckstick, did it come with a minor in underwater basket weaving?

Who would of thought a usefull degree would land you a job easier?
    Couldnt have said it better myself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm studying software engineering at the moment, getting 13th and 14th grade out of the way and will likely end up at FIT, tuition be damned.

The difference between C and C++, is that C lets you shoot yourself in the foot, C++ lets you blow your whole leg off, one toe at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
    Whatever you do in bed, we support you.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET ФЭД-2 Индустар-26P 50мм f2.8 / Юпитер-9 85mm f2 and a Canon 5D with L lenses
    1904 Eastman Kodak 5x7 Compur-Deckel-Munchen shutter with a Bausch&Lomb Zeiss-Tessar 1b 135mm/4.5 c.1920

OF Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My feeling on this is that, while the economy will likely continue to improve, the job and workplace situation will struggle to rebound. There are over 300 million people in this country, and over 7 billion people in the world -- and yet the media regularly shows having children as A NECESSARY THING to do! As the technologies of the Internet continue to eliminate jobs, people seem to be intent on growing the population.

And if an employer now finds it can hire a master's degree trained employee at $12 an hour, what incentive will they have to dramatically increase pay, even when the econnomy improves? There will still be plenty of people looking to fill that position. It's like, a couple decades ago, when many companies got rid of their human receptionists to implement automatic phone answering systems. Everyone hates getting a machine when they call a company, but it saves the company money, and most companies use these machines, making it very difficult to try to do business with a company that does not. Then, even as the economy improved, the companies still kept the automated systems because there was no reason to get rid of them and take on the expense of employing human receptionists.
    And when I came to, I had a VISION! A REVELATION! A PICTURE IN MY HEAD! A picture of THIS! The FLUX CAPACITOR!

Experimental ZX2, www.cardomain.com/ride/390119

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with a large percentage of students not only obtaining liberal arts degrees almost completely useless in the marketplace, but on top of that, watered down liberal arts degrees, watered down to the point that you can pass the classes without really knowing ANYTHING about your major, i am not surprised.

if we stopped subsidizing education (federally), perhaps more people would learn trades, like welding or CNC machining.
    Last edited by Donkey Elephant; 04-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress
    According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul's Farewell Address
    Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong.
    أحمد حكمي

douchebag per carlos zoom zoom6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Elephant View Post

if we stopped subsidizing education (federally), perhaps more people would learn trades, like welding or CNC machining.
    Welding and CNC machining doesn't pay very well, are difficult jobs to procure, and the market place is flooded with applicants.

Working in one of the largest metal shops in the S/E I can't tell you how many people come in to our shop day after day looking for work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    Well, thanks for the compliment but I am not a god or religious figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of degrees aren't worth the paper and ink they're created with. I'm an aspiring writer but you're not gonna see me going to college trying to get a creative writing degree. It's amusing (yet sad at the same time) that a lot of aspiring artists, writers, etc. think they're gonna land their dream job straight out of college. There's nothing wrong with dreaming big but you gotta be realistic at the same time. Having a backup plan or two is essential nowadays. At least, that's how I see it. I entered an industry (banking/finance) that I never thought in a million years I'd end up in and for me, that's what I wanna move ahead in. Gotta expand your horizons otherwise you're gonna get left behind, or worse...jobless. I'd love to get published one day but I know I won't become the next J.K. Rowling or whatever overnight. Having two jobs to fall back on is my cushion should I get off to a really rough start. Aspiring writers who think they're gonna make millions off their first book are in for a rude awakening.

Zan
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there wasn't a job opening in your field you just have to make it
    Art is one of tge easiest way to make quick cash if you have enough skill and know how and where to sell it
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious
    Al says: "Love, hate, look, we're a family, what's the difference?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan View Post
    If there wasn't a job opening in your field you just have to make it
    Art is one of tge easiest way to make quick cash if you have enough skill and know how and where to sell it
    Obviously you haven't heard the term "Starving Artist" there is a reason that term exists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL4SPL View Post
    Obviously you haven't heard the term "Starving Artist" there is a reason that term exists.
    No such thing as starving artists when Ramen noodles are 16 cents a pop.

I can cook them thousands of different ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
    Whatever you do in bed, we support you.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET ФЭД-2 Индустар-26P 50мм f2.8 / Юпитер-9 85mm f2 and a Canon 5D with L lenses
    1904 Eastman Kodak 5x7 Compur-Deckel-Munchen shutter with a Bausch&Lomb Zeiss-Tessar 1b 135mm/4.5 c.1920

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rather than investing in an education, I invested in a [somewhat of a] full time job. Now I'm self motivated to work 7 days a week, And i truly enjoy 95% of it. It's not going as good Asia had hoped, but I've learned more than any book or lecture could have attempted to teach me.

I build plastic Airplanes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I invested in education not a degree(will now that my company will pay for it)

Either way, I found something that is in demand and jumped on it. Hell I just turned 30, have only a 2 year degree and made over $50k last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by civic-si View Post
    I Luv Pr
    Pr Is Best
    No One Is Better
    We Are Kings
    We Are Sexy
    We Have Nice Nice Honda's
    We Fight Better Than All Of You
    We Have The Best LookIN Girls
    We Have Girls With The Fatest Asses
    And The Cutest Faceses
    We'r Not Gay Like You
    Quote Originally Posted by civic-si View Post
    We Are The Best In The World Punk Bitch

Living in a Honda Sphere dropcivic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with a large percentage of students not only obtaining liberal arts degrees almost completely useless in the marketplace, but on top of that, watered down liberal arts degrees, watered down to the point that you can pass the classes without really knowing ANYTHING about your major, i am not surprised.

Ding, bring back the auto shop classes to high schools. Let kids pick their career choice, not the teachers preping students for college. Face it, not everybody was meant for college; burger king needs burger flippers too.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom zoom6 View Post
    Welding and CNC machining doesn't pay very well, are difficult jobs to procure, and the market place is flooded with applicants.

Working in one of the largest metal shops in the S/E I can't tell you how many people come in to our shop day after day looking for work.
    Bullshit. We got welders out here that make pretty damn good money. Look at how much pipe fitters and boilermakers make. There is money in the field but it aint in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
    I invested in education not a degree(will now that my company will pay for it)

Either way, I found something that is in demand and jumped on it. Hell I just turned 30, have only a 2 year degree and made over $50k last year.
    I view some forms of education as a joke. We have high school dropouts out here making over 100k fairly easy.
    2007 Dodge ram hemi sport 4x4-superchips program, 125 shot of nitrous, airraid intake, 180 thermostat, banks exhaust
    1993 Honda civic HB-h22 and a little spray plus some other goodies-SOLD
    1989 ford mustang-powered by procharger

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    Ill smack the white back in her

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dropcivic View Post

Bullshit. We got welders out here that make pretty damn good money. Look at how much pipe fitters and boilermakers make. There is money in the field but it aint in the shop.
    Bullshit? What is "good money"

underwater welders make "good money," but the market for those qualified to do the jobs is very very very limited and the hazards on the job is what makes the money "good".

What you learn at SCC, Mid FL, Lincoln, or any of the other schools around town that offer "welding classes" and what is needed for those jobs are 2 entirely different animals. Never mind that even once you are "trained" those who are hiring are looking for experienced welders because there is so many people who are trying to get "experience".

Companies aren't willing to give newer welders OJT anymore because market place dictates that you don't have to. we have 50 welders in our shop, few are making that much more than what my wife made working in a call center. By terms of what the market in Orlando and abroad are offering, our pay is a hell of a lot better than most and the labor is definitely not for the meek.

Union workers make a killing up in the NE, but that is the Union and then you got to deal with that whole cluster fuck. Those who are up north are also loosing jobs to companies local to us because Florida companies can send people up north for cheaper and put them up in a hotel than what companies in the NE can pay their union laborers to do the same job. Those who are sent up north to do these jobs always come back with stories of union goons being complete assholes and threats of bodily harm for being a "traitor" or "scab"

Zan
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL4SPL View Post
    My wife is a very talented artist she can do graphic and free hand . We do convention and sell art work there we make pretty good money at it.

Also with art you can make deals with local stores to sell the work in tgere and give them a commission of it.

With talent you should be able to make money no matter where you are at.

Plus art is one of those things you can price it however you want . If someone like it enough they will pay the price you ask
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious
    Al says: "Love, hate, look, we're a family, what's the difference?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom zoom6 View Post

you understood my point though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress
    According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul's Farewell Address
    Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong.
    أحمد حكمي

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you understood my point though...
    yep learning a trade is better than learning a philosophy. Going into study computer engineering and nursing makes you much more qualified to be hired than learning about Greek gods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information