Roller Hockey: Barber Park - Gatlin Ave. Orlando

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller Hockey: Barber Park - Gatlin Ave. Orlando

So while exploring new roads in the area I drove down Gatlin and spotted a park with a roller hockey rink. Haven't stopped in yet but I read up on it and that's what I have gathered.

Head count for who would be in for some pick up games there?

The location is Barber Park, on Gatlin Ave between 436 (Semoran) and Conway.

If you play, want to play, have equipment or access to it, post your name and what position you play (Forward/Defense/Goal). I'll supply the balls as long as I can find the good ones down here that aren't squishy.

1. chrislis (Any Position)

I'll also update with anyone who wants to play from other sources like facebook, other boards, etc. Lets get some kind of rosters done up or a head count then we can plan some game days and times. We'll do no checking, and for required equipment: shin pads, helmets (cage is optional), hockey gloves, and a cup. Other equipment is optional.

Most common I've seen in roller leagues are cups, shin pads, shoulders, gloves, and a helmet (caged).

Sign it if you're in.

id play! that rink is my fav roller rink to play at indoor and outdoor
    13.2:1 H2B ITB EG

and, btw ... I dont not have any hispanic decent in me.

Comment

2. Super_Sold'

Comment

Originally posted by Super_Sold' View Post
        id play! that rink is my fav roller rink to play at indoor and outdoor
        cool! i haven't yet, do you know what it's like as far as lighting and hours and stuff goes?

if you know others get them in on this too so we can get a good roster count and set up times!

Comment

Originally posted by chrislisx240 View Post
          cool! i haven't yet, do you know what it's like as far as lighting and hours and stuff goes?

if you know others get them in on this too so we can get a good roster count and set up times!
          there is another outdoor rink in lake mary about 30 minutes north of barber park, usually has a good turnout on friday nights but the rink is kinda crappy ... best turnout ive played in was 7 on 7 ... thursday night are also big nights to play (a little more competitive tho)

I know sunday mornings there are a group of guys that play foot hockey at barber park, other than that there is nothing really going on there ...

Comment

ehhh foot hockey is kinda boring to me haha. and your feet burn up. i wanna get like two lines per side and a goalie each side also, so 20 skaters and 2 goalies. i used to play net, i just don't have the pads anymore and don't really want to grab any.

alert some of those guys and see if they're interested, i know some guys from the UCF hockey team I'm sure they might be interested.

Comment

i played net also! lol i have my pads from 10 years ago but they are 28" lol

when is the best day/time for u?

Comment

i have off after every four days of work, so starting from today... Tuesday, Sunday, Thursday, Tuesday, Sunday, Thursday, repeat.

Some days I get out at 6PM, so I can play after that, or before I go in which is 12pm on certain days also.

Some days I do drop in over at RDV but I haven't in awhile. I need to get some inlines, know of anywhere to scoop some up around here? I think Dick's stocks a decent amount of them, sports authority was awful. I hate buying skates online.

Comment

So while exploring new roads in the area I drove down Gatlin and spotted a park with a roller hockey rink. Haven't stopped in yet but I read up on it and that's what I have gathered.

Head count for who would be in for some pick up games there?

The location is Barber Park, on Gatlin Ave between 436 (Semoran) and Conway.

If you play, want to play, have equipment or access to it, post your name and what position you play (Forward/Defense/Goal). I'll supply the balls as long as I can find the good ones down here that aren't squishy.

I'll also update with anyone who wants to play from other sources like facebook, other boards, etc. Lets get some kind of rosters done up or a head count then we can plan some game days and times. We'll do no checking, and for required equipment: shin pads, helmets (cage is optional), hockey gloves, and a cup. Other equipment is optional.

Most common I've seen in roller leagues are cups, shin pads, shoulders, gloves, and a helmet (caged).

Sign it if you're in.

Chris-

Hey, I'd be interested in playing with you guys. I play at Barber quite a bit. There is a large group of us that plays there Saturday mornings 9:30-11:30. There's usually about 14-18 skaters and 2-3 goalies.

You could meet a bunch of people that way. There is a guy there named Joe that takes $3 from everyone because he reserves the rink for us every Saturday morning. They also have a large email list with about 50 local players on it and they'll send you emails concerning upcoming pickup days and if there is any problem with the rink on Saturday mornings.

No equiptment required. I highly recommend the shin guards and gloves. It's competitive but no body checking. I go with shin, gloves, hip girdle, pants and helmet. Your choice though.

I don't know how the ball will work for me, but I'd come and give it a try. We use hard plastic pucks.

That rink at Lake Mary is really nice too. They stay open till 11PM nightly I believe. They light it up and the lights remain on till 11. Sometimes there's some debri out there, or some skateboarders, but we can get both cleaned up quickly. I like playing out there. Most of the people that play Barber Saturdays go out to Lake Mary on Thursday nights. I played with the guy posting earlier with you too. They have a really nice group that goes out on Friday nights. I had a great time.

Hope that helps man. Nice to meet you. Let me know when your getting out and I'll try to meet you. I work quite a bit, but I find time to get out 2-3 times a week.

Comment

Yeahhh, saturday mornings will never work for me unfortunately. Do you have contact information for any of those players and/or the organizer you spoke of? Unfortunately Saturday is a day I will always work as I'm an Internet Manager at a Dealership here and it's the big day generally (you know what I mean).

That info is very helpful though, I had no idea there were that many players in this area haha. I play mostly ice, and have since I was little (23 now), but I used to play ice winter and roller summer up in CT until I moved here in 2005. You would love playing with the inline balls though, such a difference, faster pace, and it's what the pro/semi pro inline leagues / pro beach hockey use as well.

If you could help out setting this up knowing what you do I would appreciate it! I can also probably make it out to Lake Mary on my early nights assuming it's after.. 7ish or later.

Comment

Yeahhh, saturday mornings will never work for me unfortunately. Do you have contact information for any of those players and/or the organizer you spoke of? Unfortunately Saturday is a day I will always work as I'm an Internet Manager at a Dealership here and it's the big day generally (you know what I mean).

That info is very helpful though, I had no idea there were that many players in this area haha. I play mostly ice, and have since I was little (23 now), but I used to play ice winter and roller summer up in CT until I moved here in 2005. You would love playing with the inline balls though, such a difference, faster pace, and it's what the pro/semi pro inline leagues / pro beach hockey use as well.

If you could help out setting this up knowing what you do I would appreciate it! I can also probably make it out to Lake Mary on my early nights assuming it's after.. 7ish or later.
                      Is there a set day that you wanted to try and play? Like I said, Thursdays and Saturdays are the pickup days that I know of and the local indoor league is Sunday and Monday nights. I'd recommend a day other than one of those 4 if possible. Many of the guys that play the days I mentioned play in this league.

The Lake Mary pick up game starts at 7 every Thursday. We get major people out there. Usually the same amount as Barber, 14-18 skaters and at least 2 goalies. I'd recommend you come out for that and ask some people what day would be good for them. I could mention something to Joe (email list guy) and see if he'd put an email out for you concerning the day you want to play. I'd try the ball, but I think that would deter some people because they play that league with these pucks we use.

You mentioned skates earlier, try:

inlinewarhouse.com
                      rollerhockeymonkey.com

Not too much of a selection at sports authority or play it again sports. I bought mine used on Craigslist. I know that's kinda nasty.

Comment

sunday evenings around 8:00 would be ideal, or maybe even 7:30. i alternate those days off and if i am working i'm here until 7:00 about 15 minutes away. i could then do barber sunday evenings for sure and try making some of those week nights in lake mary. i can probably make next weeks on the 10th for starters.

Comment

2. Super_Sold'
                          3. r1bry
                          4. Nick (offense/sportsvite)

Comment

So I guess I'm going to make it out to Lake Mary Thursday night assuming you guys are still playing thursdays? Can I get basic information from you? Got some Bauers and the rest of my stuff is just hybrid from ice puck. I'm excited!

Comment

Anyone know where I can get a good used helmet (large size) for sure? I've heard the Lake Mary Playitagainsports has gear but I feel like they might not have as much as I think they do. Anyone been there recently? All I need is a helmet and I'm ready to join some of these games. Oh and is the rink at barber park puck-friendly? I noticed you mentioned playing with a ball, wondering what type of surface this rink is.

Comment

Working...
                              X