Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orlando Soccer is growing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Orlando Soccer is growing

    I'm a soccer enthusiast, and it seems like the city of Orlando is growing rapidly with regards to the sport. First, we have an MLS team coming to town now, which is great news! I can't wait to go see games and see the new stadium that is getting built!

    Major League Soccer names Orlando City SC as 21st franchise, set for 2015 debut | MLSsoccer.com


    Then, Johan Cruyff's foundation is building the first Cruyff Court in the United States at Montverde Academy, which is 20 minutes from Orlando! I even hear Frank Rijkaard is going to be there to open it this January on the 18th!

    Cruyff Court Montverde Academy

    All of this news is getting me excited as I will be able to see some high level soccer in the area without traveling very far!

    What are your thoughts?

  • #2
    My thoughts? The sport is incredibly boring and an epic waste to bring MLS to Orlando. Could have gotten the city an MLB, NFL, or NHL team and likely brought in more money. Plus, let's be realistic, an MLS team MOSTLY focuses on one demographic. Any other pro sport would be appealing to a much wider range of demographics. That said, I hope it works out as the taxpayers, who were told they wouldn't have to spend a dime on this crap, spent several dimes and I hope they replace that money in a hurry. Also, side note, I worked for the Dick's Sporting Goods in Sanford, right by a soccer complex, and soccer was, by several thousand dollars behind all other sports, in both profit and gross dollars sold. Even lacrosse sold like 4-5 grand more. Clearly the demand isn't as strong as they might think. Even a minor league baseball team would probably be more beneficial than an MLS team.
    current: 2009 & 2010 Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, 2009 & 2010 Daytona Beach 1/2 Marathon, 2010 Tampa Bay Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon, 2010 & 2012 Women's Running Magazine St. Petersburg 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Women's Running Magazine Bloomington 1/2 Marathon
    upcoming: 2015 Disney Princess Half Marathon
    My Walthers: P99 40S&W, PPK 32ACP, P1 9mm, P5 9mm

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mach1steve View Post
      My thoughts? The sport is incredibly boring and an epic waste to bring MLS to Orlando. Could have gotten the city an MLB, NFL, or NHL team and likely brought in more money. Plus, let's be realistic, an MLS team MOSTLY focuses on one demographic. Any other pro sport would be appealing to a much wider range of demographics. That said, I hope it works out as the taxpayers, who were told they wouldn't have to spend a dime on this crap, spent several dimes and I hope they replace that money in a hurry. Also, side note, I worked for the Dick's Sporting Goods in Sanford, right by a soccer complex, and soccer was, by several thousand dollars behind all other sports, in both profit and gross dollars sold. Even lacrosse sold like 4-5 grand more. Clearly the demand isn't as strong as they might think. Even a minor league baseball team would probably be more beneficial than an MLS team.
      Its like poetry
      use contraceptives

      Comment


      • #4
        I think its great that orlando city will become mls. We have a very good football team.
        '88 Mazda RX-7 Vert.

        Originally posted by coyote
        my car is sow low right now you got to see it it looks sow hot

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mach1steve View Post
          My thoughts? The sport is incredibly boring and an epic waste to bring MLS to Orlando. Could have gotten the city an MLB, NFL, or NHL team and likely brought in more money. Plus, let's be realistic, an MLS team MOSTLY focuses on one demographic. Any other pro sport would be appealing to a much wider range of demographics. That said, I hope it works out as the taxpayers, who were told they wouldn't have to spend a dime on this crap, spent several dimes and I hope they replace that money in a hurry. Also, side note, I worked for the Dick's Sporting Goods in Sanford, right by a soccer complex, and soccer was, by several thousand dollars behind all other sports, in both profit and gross dollars sold. Even lacrosse sold like 4-5 grand more. Clearly the demand isn't as strong as they might think. Even a minor league baseball team would probably be more beneficial than an MLS team.
          Well think about the amount of equipment soccer requires: Cleats and a ball, maybe shin guards if you're 12 yrs old. That isn't exactly a good business model to try and profit off of as compared to something like football with helmets, pads, cleats, mouth pieces, 'personal' protection, etc.

          Soccer is the biggest sport world wide, no contest, and the USA is slowly coming around. For an area as diverse as Orlando, I think ticket sales for these games will be quite substantial to start and will only get better.

          Watch a couple games with a soccer fan and actually learn something about and appreciate the game before you dismiss it completely, then honestly tell me that soccer is more boring than Baseball, golf, NASCAR. Hell, even try to play soccer yourself and try to understand the amount of coordination and athleticism that the game requires to be any good at.

          To each their own, i think it's a great move and will bring money into the area especially if we can sign a big name. I bet they'll make more money per game than the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars.
          2001 Honda RVT1000R RC51
          ·Work in Progress

          2007 Suzuki GSXR750
          ·Javi's custom FE kit·Jesse's custom tinting·
          GP shift·Scorpion Slip-on


          Flickr

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by javi View Post
            Well think about the amount of equipment soccer requires: Cleats and a ball, maybe shin guards if you're 12 yrs old. That isn't exactly a good business model to try and profit off of as compared to something like football with helmets, pads, cleats, mouth pieces, 'personal' protection, etc.

            Soccer is the biggest sport world wide, no contest, and the USA is slowly coming around. For an area as diverse as Orlando, I think ticket sales for these games will be quite substantial to start and will only get better.

            Watch a couple games with a soccer fan and actually learn something about and appreciate the game before you dismiss it completely, then honestly tell me that soccer is more boring than Baseball, golf, NASCAR. Hell, even try to play soccer yourself and try to understand the amount of coordination and athleticism that the game requires to be any good at.

            To each their own, i think it's a great move and will bring money into the area especially if we can sign a big name. I bet they'll make more money per game than the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars.
            I have attempted plenty of times to like/appreciate soccer, several times with an ex who liked and played soccer as well as family friends who have gone as far as getting soccer scholarships. It bores me. I just don't like it. Don't get me wrong, baseball, golf, and NASCAR are boring, but they also bring in a TON of money.

            And really, you're using Jax as the benchmark? Really setting the bar high for soccer, aren't you?

            Also, to play golf, maybe not well, but to play, all you NEED is a driver, a putter, and either a wedge or an iron, and a box of balls, sure thats technically more than you need for soccer, but the $$$ difference brought in is at least triple if you use quality stuff. So where are most businesses going to look? The sport bringing in money.
            Last edited by mach1steve; 12-27-2013, 11:21 AM.
            current: 2009 & 2010 Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, 2009 & 2010 Daytona Beach 1/2 Marathon, 2010 Tampa Bay Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon, 2010 & 2012 Women's Running Magazine St. Petersburg 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Women's Running Magazine Bloomington 1/2 Marathon
            upcoming: 2015 Disney Princess Half Marathon
            My Walthers: P99 40S&W, PPK 32ACP, P1 9mm, P5 9mm

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by javi View Post
              Well think about the amount of equipment soccer requires: Cleats and a ball, maybe shin guards if you're 12 yrs old. That isn't exactly a good business model to try and profit off of as compared to something like football with helmets, pads, cleats, mouth pieces, 'personal' protection, etc.

              Soccer is the biggest sport world wide, no contest, and the USA is slowly coming around. For an area as diverse as Orlando, I think ticket sales for these games will be quite substantial to start and will only get better.

              Watch a couple games with a soccer fan and actually learn something about and appreciate the game before you dismiss it completely, then honestly tell me that soccer is more boring than Baseball, golf, NASCAR. Hell, even try to play soccer yourself and try to understand the amount of coordination and athleticism that the game requires to be any good at.

              To each their own, i think it's a great move and will bring money into the area especially if we can sign a big name. I bet they'll make more money per game than the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars.
              I would think at Dicks that Soccer is being compared to Basket ball (less equipment), and even bicycles (other than a bike and helmet there really isn't much equipment to that either). when you talk about how much other sports drive they also have to factor in shelf life and original expense to put the products in the store, never mind stocking it and shelf space. If there was money in it, their drivers would show that.

              if your goal is to be the Jags (who are profitable, and even more so than the Bucs based on revenue reports from last week sometime), their branding and Jersey sales won't even be able to compete. What network is MLS going to be shown on again? Yeah I'm sure they will have an NBC/NFL/FOX type deal on the level of even the sorriest nfl teams....lol

              Soccer is played by developing and nations and in developed worlds by females. Simply put it has more possible consumers to enjoy it. If African nations could afford to play hockey, football, or Nascar, it would be a more level comparison. to think that soccer is the worlds greatest sport because of the number of people who do it, is flawed. Kenya may have a ton of people who play, but that is simply because 2 garbage cans and a ball is all that is really required to play. same goes for basket ball. That also doesn't improve its status in this country..... How is Rugby and Cricket's popularity doing in the states by the way?
              Originally posted by Ric
              Well, thanks for the compliment but I am not a god or religious figure.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm up in the air about the idea. I went to the woman futball game that was a few months ago that was USA vs. Brazil and I was really surprised at the turn out. The Citrus Bowl was pretty packed. There was lines at the ticket counter and there was lines just to get inside. Seemed like a really good turn out to me.
                White JEEEEEEEESUS!!!!!!


                I'm to drunk to taste this chicken

                Comment


                • #9
                  Lol @ Using Soccer equipment sales at a dick's sporting goods store to base how profitable the sport of futbol is.

                  I got my season tickets for this year coming up, and I can't wait for 2015 in the MLS.
                  DOHC hatch - with turbo
                  Subaru STI - broken
                  Infiniti G35 - daily

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wut is this?
                    Detailing page

                    Originally posted by 89gotballz
                    Hyu is now Hyu again, Rusty larry or whatever was once hyu while so was all the other people. But after the most recent swap, hyu became hyu while dusty larry gave up hyu and became crusty larry

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Stig View Post
                      Lol @ Using Soccer equipment sales at a dick's sporting goods store to base how profitable the sport of futbol is.

                      I got my season tickets for this year coming up, and I can't wait for 2015 in the MLS.
                      We were literally 5 mins from a soccer complex thay supports players from kindergarten through college ages with about 5-10 teams within each age group. I don't know how much bigger a sample group you need?
                      current: 2009 & 2010 Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, 2009 & 2010 Daytona Beach 1/2 Marathon, 2010 Tampa Bay Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon, 2010 & 2012 Women's Running Magazine St. Petersburg 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Women's Running Magazine Bloomington 1/2 Marathon
                      upcoming: 2015 Disney Princess Half Marathon
                      My Walthers: P99 40S&W, PPK 32ACP, P1 9mm, P5 9mm

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Stig View Post
                        Lol @ Using Soccer equipment sales at a dick's sporting goods store to base how profitable the sport of futbol is.
                        did you think they sold soccer balls for their health? businesses sell things for profit, and stock things to make as much of it as possible..... Should the sample size be based on sales of 2x4s at home depot or turtles at Petco? at least there is a direct correlation to marketability and popularity in the region. What better standard do you have?
                        Originally posted by Ric
                        Well, thanks for the compliment but I am not a god or religious figure.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mach1steve View Post
                          We were literally 5 mins from a soccer complex thay supports players from kindergarten through college ages with about 5-10 teams within each age group. I don't know how much bigger a sample group you need?
                          I agree with Stig.. I went to a woman game and it was a really good turn out. Hard to say that America hasn't become a big fan of futball. I don't think we're at the stage of causing riots if a team loses but we're on that path to greatness.. lol
                          White JEEEEEEEESUS!!!!!!


                          I'm to drunk to taste this chicken

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We were part of the announcement and it was awesome :)


                            1991 Nissan 300ZX - Caught Fire
                            2007 Toyota Camry - Traded
                            2010 Hyundai Sonata - Traded
                            2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium -

                            Pics; www.flickr.com/alamein *Warning!! Not a single photochop within, all shots straight off the sensor thanks to the gear listed below!!*

                            Sony Alpha-700 w/ vertical grip, Minolta SR1, Minolta SRT101-CLC, Minolta SRT201, Minota SRT201-CLC, Minolta SRT202-CLC, Minolta MC Tele Rokkor 135mm F2.8, Vivitar 85-205mm F3.8, Minolta 28mm F2.8, Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm F1.7, Minolta 35-70mm Macro F4, Sony 75-300mm F4.5, Minolta 28-85mm Macro F3.5, Minolta Rokkor 58mm F1.4, Minolta 70-210mm F4, Vivitar Close Focus 90-230mm F4.5, Sigma 28-90mm F3.5, Hanimex MC 28mm F2.8, Minolta MD Rokkor 75-200mm F4.5, Sony 18-70mm F3.5, Minolta 50mm F1.7, Minolta RS 70-210mm F4.5, Sigma 85mm F3.5, Minolta 35-105mm F3.5, Coligon 135mm F2.8, Minolta Rokkor 55mm F1.8, Sony SAL-16F28 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Minolta 100-200mm F4.5, Tamron 28-200mm F3.8

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by zoom zoom6 View Post
                              did you think they sold soccer balls for their health? businesses sell things for profit, and stock things to make as much of it as possible..... Should the sample size be based on sales of 2x4s at home depot or turtles at Petco? at least there is a direct correlation to marketability and popularity in the region. What better standard do you have?
                              Sorry, the first thing I think of when I hear Dicks sporting goods isn't, "Wow that might be a great place to get soccer equipment."

                              I'd go to World Soccer Shop, or some shit like that online.

                              Have you been to an OCSC game?

                              For our last game at the Citrus Bowl, attendance was more than the capacity of the Amway arena.. Think about that. If that can happen on a semi consistent basis, and OCSC sells more seats than our fledgling Magic are right now, then what will you have to say about the profitability of soccer in Central Florida?
                              DOHC hatch - with turbo
                              Subaru STI - broken
                              Infiniti G35 - daily

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X