White lights on the front of a car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White lights on the front of a car

Okay, I just got stopped by the police in Lake Mary tonight for white lights on the front of my car. I did not get any kind of citation, but the cop claimed the lights were illegal, and I'm just trying to get some definitive info.

There were two sets of lights he had a problem with -- one is a windshield-wide strip of bright white LED's near the top of my windshield. The second is an approx. 1 foot wide strip of LED's in the center of the nose of the car, between the headlights.

That center strip should be pretty easy to dispute. First of all, there should be no problem with the bright-white color -- just look at all of the OEM bright white LED lights that suppliment the headlights on many new cars. And as for the location between the headlights, I pointed out that the late 1980's Mercury Sable and early 1990's Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan had light bars between the headlights as standard factory equipment.

The upper windshield lights may be more of a problem. I looked up various statues, and I found some info that might be somewhat relevant. One said that auxillary driving lights can be no more than 42 inches high -- and this strip is about 47 inches above ground. But, a statute on headlights said the car must have "at least" two headlights between 24 and 54 inches high. And another statute mentions that there can be no more than four lights on at once that are more than 300 candlepower -- and I doubt that the any of the LED strips are more than 300 candlepower (though I'd have to check that).

So, does anyone here know definitively if these lights are legal or not, and what statutes either permit or forbid them? If they're legal, I'd like to have a copy of the appropriate statute with me in case I'm stopped again.
    And when I came to, I had a VISION! A REVELATION! A PICTURE IN MY HEAD! A picture of THIS! The FLUX CAPACITOR!

Experimental ZX2, www.cardomain.com/ride/390119

Are these in replacement of the factory headlights? or are these in addition to?

Comment

in addition too from what he posted.
      www.facebook.com/99slobra

Couple of K5's. Lifted.

Molon Labe

Comment

Yes, these are in addition to the factory headlights and parking lights. All of the factory lights are still hooked up, operating properly, and in use.
        And when I came to, I had a VISION! A REVELATION! A PICTURE IN MY HEAD! A picture of THIS! The FLUX CAPACITOR!

Comment

I can see the ones at the top of the windshield being against code, however, if they're not really bright, and wouldn't really distract someone that you're behind (like being too bright in their rear view mirror), you'll probably just get warnings like you did.

Seems odd, and I'm curious as to why you do it.

Comment

I just like the way they look. Plus, they make the car easier to see at night, and even in the daytime in some cases. The windshield-wide strip is something I got at Pep Boys, and it even includes amber squental turnsignals embedded in the strip, which I also have hooked up (and if a cop says that they're illegal, it's just a matter of pointing out the auxillary turn signals that are now on the side mirror housings of several new cars and SUV's). I'm currently working on a control panel for that strip, however, that will automatically dim the white lights at night, as they are pretty bright (but I doubt they're brighter than a typical low beam headlight).

The strip in the middle, between the two headlights, was just an extra that I had. I have a sweeping Knight Rider Light bar mounted there, which I know is illegal to use when driving because of the motion of the lights (so I only use them when parked). One time, I needed a strip of white LED's for a car interior project, and the ones I bought came in a package of two. So, I took the extra one and mounted it by the Knight Rider Lights. Both the Knight Rider Lights and the stationary LED strip are mounted behind a piece of smoked plastic.

Comment

Pics?

Indestructible 2005 GSX-R 600

Comment

Wait are u the guy that had the fake rocket on the rear trunk with sound effects and all?
                Never mind , u are

Indestructible 2005 GSX-R 600

Comment

Yes, it's the ZX2 with the fake rockets. Some pictures are in the link in my sig, but not recent ones of the front with the lights.

Now, isn't this section called "Ask an Officer"? Isn't there a police officer on the forum that looks at these posts to answer questions? It used to be MDavis, but I haven't seen him on here for a while.

Comment

Now we have Einstein but sometimes he's a little slow
                    www.facebook.com/99slobra

Couple of K5's. Lifted.

Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Holliday View Post
                      Now we have Einstein but sometimes he's a little slow
                      sometimes slow?

As for the lights your light height restriction on a passenger car.
                      Florida Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules
                      Originally posted by TEDDER1
                      Now I don't work for NASA, but I think you might have missed the window of opportunity.
                      "owning a Type R is like a dream, you wake up and its gone."
                      Wanna be a sponsor?
                      http://www.orlandoforums.com/forum/payments.php

Comment

^^^
                        Yep, those look like the same statutes I found. And the one about having no more than four lights on at once states that they're talking about lights that are more than 300 candlepower. It doesn't say anything about lights with a lower intensity. It also doesn't mention the parking lights, either. Any time a car has its headlights on, it also has at least two additional parking lights on, as well. Is it the case that, if you're also allowed to have two extra driving lights, then the parking lights don't factor into the count? Are parking lights less than 300 candlepower?

So, if the auxillary lights are less than 300 candlepower, do they still have to abide by the same regulations, such as being no more than 42 inches off the ground?

Comment

i believe its probably if they are used for illuminating the road ahead. Thats why on some cars with fog lights fro the factory when you put the High beams n the fogs turn off.
                          Originally posted by TEDDER1
                          Now I don't work for NASA, but I think you might have missed the window of opportunity.
                          "owning a Type R is like a dream, you wake up and its gone."
                          Wanna be a sponsor?
                          http://www.orlandoforums.com/forum/payments.php

Comment

do you still have that giant rocket on the trunk? I would think thats against the law.... at least more than your lights.

I think thats the same agency that pulled my buddy over for having yellow fog lights.... they were OEM Volvo fog lights.....

so who knows.
                            Originally posted by Doc Holliday
                            I've always had the opinion that if you knowingly break the law that at some point you'll get caught.

I was always taught to take my licks like a man. Apparently people on bikes cry like little girls.

Comment

Yep, the rocket is still there! In fact, last year, I made it bigger! An officer once told me that, as long as I have the two outside side mirrors, then there's no problem with the rocket.

How bright is 300 candlepower, anyway? Other than 1 candle power (Duh!) and a million candlepower spotlight, I really don't have a frame of reference to how bright different candlepower levels are.

Comment

Working...
                              X