Is Skateboarding Downtown Illegal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Skateboarding Downtown Illegal?

Don't know if anyone who has any legal expertise knows if it is in fact 100% illegal to operate a self propelled skateboard on public streets and or sidewalks in downtown Orlando (32801-32803). I work and live downtown which makes it very practical and enjoyable to ride to work versus riding a bike / scooter / or car in everyday. This being said, I've been approached a few times by Orlando P.D. or just frustrated citizens that tell me it's illegal. I find this very very hard to believe. Mainly because I've looked up city of Orlando ordinances and statutes and can't find anything that clearly says it's a crime or ticket-able offense unless clearly noted by signs in public parks / churches / schools. For example, Lake Eola has at every possible point of entry a sign to indicate it's illegal for anyone to ride skateboards, bikes, or rollerblades in the park. That also tells me that it's clearly 'LEGAL' to ride beyond those signs on the sidewalk / street.

Chapter 316 Section 0085 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

Chapter 316 Section 2065 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

specifically: (9) A person propelling a vehicle by human power upon and along a sidewalk, or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk, has all the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian under the same circumstances.
    I am tired of being mis-informed by cops and citizens based on the clear fact alone that it is something they don't like to see or want around them. I've recorded every police encounter on my gopro camera as I skate and I've explained to every officer in a clear and polite tone that regardless of what they're telling me, it's wrong unless they can site me a statue # or some crime I'm physically breaking...and so far nothing. I am however logical enough to know arguing w/ a police office is a lose/lose situation.

Anyone on here have any logical feedback that can help me understand what the laws are in / around my own town?
    Linux System Administrator
    rm -Vfr /etc/*nix "Love is a fist"

Just keep doing it until you get a ticket or arrested and that willl answer you question.
    White JEEEEEEEESUS!!!!!!

I'm to drunk to taste this chicken

Comment

Originally posted by EckSyle View Post
      Just keep doing it until you get a ticket or arrested and that willl answer you question.
      I guess it's this hipster thing called "being aware"... thanks Obama!

Comment

Originally posted by Carloswill View Post
        I guess it's this hipster thing called "being aware"... thanks Obama!
        What the fuck is a hipster?
        White JEEEEEEEESUS!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EckSyle View Post
          What the fuck is a hipster?
          People who have 'Salt Life' stickers on their trucks are "Hipsters"

Comment

Originally posted by Carloswill View Post
            People who have 'Salt Life' stickers on their trucks are "Hipsters"
            What the fuck is is "Salt Life?!" Is hipsters the new word for fags?
            White JEEEEEEEESUS!!!!!!

Comment

Salt Life stickers are for posers.

The motorized skateboard is technically a motor vehicle. Depending on where it is operated the potential charges could vary. Registration could be an issue too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

I would say if you are dressed in your work uniform and skateboarding they wont bother you...
                1993 Rx7 converting to the darkside!

Comment

(3) This section does not grant authority or permission for a person to
                  engage in skateboarding, inline skating, or freestyle bicycling on property
                  owned or controlled by a governmental entity unless such governmental
                  entity has specifically designated such area for skateboarding, inline skating,
                  and freestyle bicycling.

depending how you want to think about this.... The government owns/maintains/controls the sidewalks and streets, so if they don't give you permission...your SOL. Although I don't see why a skateboard would not be allowed and a Bike would be....
                  Originally posted by Doc Holliday
                  I've always had the opinion that if you knowingly break the law that at some point you'll get caught.

I was always taught to take my licks like a man. Apparently people on bikes cry like little girls.

Comment

I think the difference would be whether or not you're acting like a nuisance (aka Wannabe Tony Hawk).
                    current: 2009 & 2010 Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, 2009 & 2010 Daytona Beach 1/2 Marathon, 2010 Tampa Bay Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon, 2010 & 2012 Women's Running Magazine St. Petersburg 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Women's Running Magazine Bloomington 1/2 Marathon
                    upcoming: 2015 Disney Princess Half Marathon
                    My Walthers: P99 40S&W, PPK 32ACP, P1 9mm, P5 9mm

Comment

I rode bmx bikes downtown for years, unless your clearly damaging property you'll be fine.
                      12.9 at 108
                      Originally posted by HF_ops2005
                      i love raw underground gorilla style street scene i guess.
                      http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28247112985342

Comment

I've skated my longboard downtown before and I've gotten dirty looks and people pointing but never been bothered. I hit the garages a few years ago, they'll definitely mess with you for that and I don't recommend it unless you actually know how to be careful or are a gambler (it's a crapshoot whether you get busted or not). Last time I skated down there was just to get around and during the day earlier this year. In a nutshell: I have never gotten a ticket or been bothered for using my board as transportation downtown.
                        Last edited by slowAWD; 12-27-2013, 02:49 AM.
                        1990 Eagle Talon - A bad decision.
                        1992 Eagle Talon - T-boned by the OCSO, "making a difference" - you made one all right...

1996 Eagle Talon - Transfer case wreckage and a resulting crash.

1993 Eagle Talon - Shitbox.
                        Jackstand Racing League

Comment

i was told when we were setting up our event; downtown Orlando was labeled as a "no-skateboarding zone" - from my understanding it is illegal to skateboard in downtown Orlando (or on city property) in downtown Orlando.
                          WWW.v2lab.com
                          evolution viii

Comment

Working...
                          X