Car stolen by unlicensed driver and public property damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car stolen by unlicensed driver and public property damage

Hi! As the title says my car was stolen by a family members partner. The partner is unlicensed and damaged public property in an accident. The car was reported stolen as the partner never had permission(especially unlicensed) to take the car. The car was at the family members home and not at mine (car owner), because it was having issues near their home and it was the closest place to take it where it would not be towed. The car only had Liability insurance and not Comprehensive so the insurance company will not cover the damages. It's unfortunate that the partner will now have a felony on their record but I don't think I have any other choice as i never gave permission to take my car. Do I have any other choice? Thanks in advance for the help.

the party who stole the car is responsible for both the property damage AND the damage to your car.

Your insurance WOULD cover the property damage but not the damage to your car IF you were the driver, a member of YOUR househould was driving (and didn't have insurance but was licensed), etc. That's what liability covers.

The person who stole the car's insurance would cover the damages IF they were licensed AND you stated you gave the thief permission to drive the vehicle. The insurance at the place of residence (your family members or their's if they live with someone else) may cover the damages including those to your car.....but you're going to have to check into that from their end.

Basically though, you are screwed unless the person who stole the car has a lot of money laying around to pay for both the property damage and the damage to your car. It's your choice as to how you want to proceed if they can not find an insurance policy that will pay for it OR they have enough money to cover it.

In the route of felony charges, you will need to have them held accountable for the damages via paying restitution via court order. You could go talk to the prosecuting attorney to try to get them to not have it go as a felony and have the person plea to a lesser charge with restitution involved otherwise you may be out of pocket on something that you should not be.
    Quadcam hatch club.

This Space For Rent.

Comment

Thanks so much for the help Squid. It's a shitty situation but I will definitely speak with the prosecuting attorney about restitution. Also, if the partner has to pay restitution am I, as the owner of the car, still responsible for damages in the mean time? As you know, there won't be a court case for awhile I m just wondering what will happen during that time?

Comment

Originally posted by 407gst View Post
        Thanks so much for the help Squid. It's a shitty situation but I will definitely speak with the prosecuting attorney about restitution. Also, if the partner has to pay restitution am I, as the owner of the car, still responsible for damages in the mean time? As you know, there won't be a court case for awhile I m just wondering what will happen during that time?
        how can you be held accountable for something you 1. didn't do and 2. had no knowledge of until after the fact?
        Quadcam hatch club.

This Space For Rent.

Comment

That's true. Thanks for the info Squid.

Comment

Working...
          X