Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotta love BMW engineering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Electronic computer controlled fuel injection has been mainstream since the 70's with the need for computers to diagnose them.

    Comment


    • #17
      I diagnose without computers...heck, I even diagnose over the phone. Recently found a brake booster that was causing a problem on a 2000 ranger....over the phone.
      Quadcam hatch club.

      This Space For Rent.

      Comment


      • #18
        being i work on NEW shit everyday i think 90% of tech is good ( in theory), that being said a dip stick to check oil is a MUST. sensors go bad EVERYDAY, granted bmw/benz do have a good and VERY accurate sensor they measure with still negates the fact EVERY car should have one.
        Don't call 911
        grab the 1911 w/10 round wilson combat mag

        Originally posted by bigmike
        Doug is an all around worthless, ignorant, douche...

        Comment


        • #19
          I was totally stumped when my sis in laws 6 series was leaking what looked like tranny fluid last year. I went to pull the tranny dipstick to check the level and couldn't find one ...called around confirmed it didn't have one. So I didn't know what to tell her the next step was. Couldn't visually check the level, couldn't top it off, couldn't tell her drive it to a mechanic and risk damaging the tranny or spend $100+ to have it towed ???? I love the styling of BMW's (and Geman cars) but from everyone else in my family that has owned one I have nothing but horror stories. Apparently the best route with this platform is to purchase or lease new while under warranty and replace on warranty expires or get ready to shell out mucho dinero in the future $$$

          Indestructible 2005 GSX-R 600

          Comment


          • #20
            When my warranty expires in the next 2-3 years I'm trading in

            Comment


            • #21
              Breaks More than Works has an electronic dipstick? Fucking brilliant. Hope you like your bearings well done.
              current: 2009 & 2010 Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, 2009 & 2010 Daytona Beach 1/2 Marathon, 2010 Tampa Bay Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon, 2010 & 2012 Women's Running Magazine St. Petersburg 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Women's Running Magazine Bloomington 1/2 Marathon
              upcoming: 2015 Disney Princess Half Marathon
              My Walthers: P99 40S&W, PPK 32ACP, P1 9mm, P5 9mm

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by mach1steve View Post
                Breaks More than Works has an electronic dipstick? Fucking brilliant. Hope you like your bearings well done.

                Why would my bearings be cooked? The car constantly keeps track of the oil level. If it were to get low it alerts you on the dash. Far superior to the old way of doing it with the manual dipstick. You can't check your oil level driving down the road, I can in my car with the push of a button. You can't get alerts of losing oil/low oil level in the crankcase doing 80 down the highway, I do. All you get in a normal car is a little low oil pressure idiot light. By the time the light turns on or your oil pressure gauge reads 0, your bearings are well done. You wouldn't know you're losing oil driving down the road. You only know by manually checking it once a week? Once a month? My oil level is monitored every second the car is on.

                BMW: 1 > Old shit: 0

                Here's a random google image of the display:

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Ric View Post
                  Why would my bearings be cooked? The car constantly keeps track of the oil level. If it were to get low it alerts you on the dash. Far superior to the old way of doing it with the manual dipstick. You can't check your oil level driving down the road, I can in my car with the push of a button. You can't get alerts of losing oil/low oil level in the crankcase doing 80 down the highway, I do. All you get in a normal car is a little low oil pressure idiot light. By the time the light turns on or your oil pressure gauge reads 0, your bearings are well done. You wouldn't know you're losing oil driving down the road. You only know by manually checking it once a week? Once a month? My oil level is monitored every second the car is on.

                  BMW: 1 > Old shit: 0

                  Here's a random google image of the display:
                  Cause sensors never go bad...
                  current: 2009 & 2010 Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, 2009 & 2010 Daytona Beach 1/2 Marathon, 2010 Tampa Bay Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon, 2010 & 2012 Women's Running Magazine St. Petersburg 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Women's Running Magazine Bloomington 1/2 Marathon
                  upcoming: 2015 Disney Princess Half Marathon
                  My Walthers: P99 40S&W, PPK 32ACP, P1 9mm, P5 9mm

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Sensors do go bad from time to time that's a fact of life, the car will alert you with a CEL and you have it diagnosed and fixed.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ric View Post
                      Sensors do go bad from time to time that's a fact of life, the car will alert you with a CEL and you have it diagnosed and fixed.
                      You're so naive. Yes, the sensor ALWAYS fails in a way that causes a CEL...
                      current: 2009 & 2010 Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, 2009 & 2010 Daytona Beach 1/2 Marathon, 2010 Tampa Bay Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon, 2010 & 2012 Women's Running Magazine St. Petersburg 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Women's Running Magazine Bloomington 1/2 Marathon
                      upcoming: 2015 Disney Princess Half Marathon
                      My Walthers: P99 40S&W, PPK 32ACP, P1 9mm, P5 9mm

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        The BMW has a CANBUS network that monitors and controls everything on the car. Installing the wrong lightbulb throws a CEL. Yes, if the sensor fails it will throw a CEL. It's not a GM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I own a car built in 2013, I happen to be okay with working on 50s cars to present. That said, there is no fucking way I would buy a car that needs to tell me when my oil viscosity is low or my pads need changing. If the owners of these cars are that brainless, then so be it, but I'm perfectly capable of checking my own oil levels.

                          PS who gets dirty checking their dipstick for oil levels? that is a completely new level of brainless....
                          Originally posted by Ric
                          Well, thanks for the compliment but I am not a god or religious figure.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Ric View Post
                            The BMW has a CANBUS network that monitors and controls everything on the car. Installing the wrong lightbulb throws a CEL. Yes, if the sensor fails it will throw a CEL. It's not a GM.
                            You, oh master of all things, have never experienced a fuel level sender that was stuck in one place? No CEL there, but you could very easily run out of gas. That's a sensor. It will very rarely cause a CEL. CANBUS has absolutely nothing to do with what I am talking about and proves exactly how little you know about what is being discussed here. Nowhere in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to a correct answer, everyone on this forum is now dumber having read it. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
                            current: 2009 & 2010 Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, 2009 & 2010 Daytona Beach 1/2 Marathon, 2010 Tampa Bay Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon, 2010 & 2012 Women's Running Magazine St. Petersburg 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Women's Running Magazine Bloomington 1/2 Marathon
                            upcoming: 2015 Disney Princess Half Marathon
                            My Walthers: P99 40S&W, PPK 32ACP, P1 9mm, P5 9mm

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Time spent being a douchebag 62%
                              Time spent being a VIP downtown 33%
                              Time spent trolling OF 22%
                              Time spent coercing couples onto the boat 3%
                              Time spent basking in his own glory 2%

                              Allotted time to check oil from a dipstick 0%

                              He spends 122% of his day being Ric, because he just can be 122%.
                              1993 Rx7 converting to the darkside!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                You do understand the sensor can not get stuck in one place because the sensor has no moving parts, right? It's not your Papi's tractor. This is the stupidest argument in the world. It's like trying to argue washing your clothes by hand is better than a washing machine. A better system of checking and monitoring oil was developed, get over it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X