User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeking employment in the Orlando area

31 years old looking to relocate.

Very knowledgeable in IT, Auto (and racing related), Electronics and misc. sales. Ran a speed parts store, furniture store, auto repair shop and computer school (ISP and more as well).

Worked as a salesman in electronics, phones, computers, car rental, collision repair, engine repair and as a systems engineer and dept. rep. for a telephone company.

I know my way around the Orlando area, therefor I am trying to seek employment there.

Here comes the down part.... I do not live in the States but do travel there at least once a year and would need an H2B Visa (temp work visa).

I have a full blown resume (detailed) at hand for those interested.

Shoot me a Private Message if you feel I have something you might need for your company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I spent a couple months in FL making less than I made in High School working for a shop down there, doing 60 hours a week. College Degree, years of experience in both IT and automotive industry.

Yesterday I accepted an offer near $70K in the DC area. Orlando is a black hole for the skilled employee right now, in IT and automotive industries alike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
    FWIW, I spent a couple months in FL making less than I made in High School working for a shop down there, doing 60 hours a week. College Degree, years of experience in both IT and automotive industry.

Yesterday I accepted an offer near $70K in the DC area. Orlando is a black hole for the skilled employee right now, in IT and automotive industries alike.
    Wow, when you left slowboy you became an incredibly negative person! Jobs can be found OP just keep looking and keep your head up. I lost my job in April and just found one.
    ~Preston

"A real race has a start line and a finish line, not a start speed and a finish speed."

1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.8 conv.
    This is fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (currently rocking a 1970 BOSS 306 till the 5.8 is done )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Negative? Absolutely not. I'm quite positive, I think a positive attitude is a key to success regardless of where you are.

But I'm also a realist. It also depends upon how much income you desire to feel comfortable, and how you care to save. I'm not comfortable ever living paycheck-to-paycheck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just mean anytime someone says something about employment in orlando, you say theres no money, no jobs, u didnt make enough etc! u always have something negative to say about this area
    ~Preston

"A real race has a start line and a finish line, not a start speed and a finish speed."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure i took a job making less money than im used to but i dont believe it has anything to do with this area. jobs in general suck right now unless its government and they are slimming down too!
    ~Preston

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had no problem making money here at SBR and ive been here 2-3 weeks lol. Helps when you know the right people and community
    99 Nissan Sentra SEL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just been my experience, and that of many others I've known.

Near 10% unemployment doesn't speak well for the area. It allows for sub-par wages, and people mostly being overqualified and underpaid for their jobs. In two weeks in Orlando unemployed, I received ONE part-time job offer at an insulting joke of a wage ($15 an hour, and part-time with no benefits). In the two weeks after I left, I received three offers, the lowest of which would have been in the mid-40s, and would have funded graduate school in its entirety. My skill set didn't change a whole lot in the drive from Orlando to Tallahassee.

It's a little odd that you'd say "jobs suck in general". They don't. You just have to think outside the box a little bit and utilize your networking skills well, and value YOURSELF as highly as you want a company to value you. You can't go in wanting to make $15 an hour and hope anybody will pay you a damned bit more than that. I know I'm worth $30 an hour, thus I'm making a bit more than that (when converted into hourly wage). It's all about attitude.

Shane: I'm not doubting that. I'm not necessarily speaking badly about the company. The pay structure wasn't something I could comfortably live off of, so it wasn't a good fit. I have NO problems with SBR at all.
    Last edited by RyanDavies; 08-11-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not relocating for the money, i'm just trying to get my ass off to somewhere else. I've been coming down to Orlando for the last 7 years on a regular basis, I know a good bunch of people down there and I just love the place, I will be down there in late october to catch some racing for the 4th year in a row (Orlando WSN's)

I've been all over the USA and there is a reason I only go to Orlando.... it's just the best... IMHO..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People ARE hiring in the area. It's just difficult finding an honest person to work for and also to pay you what your worth. Because there are so many techs looking for jobs they want ones who work for a little less and more hours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen truckloads of ads but my problem is still getting an employer that is willing to sponsor the job, the H2B Visa deal....

As for the monthly paycheck... I really could not care less, better to get low pay than no pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post

Pretty much the truth. I moved back to the DC area in 2005 due to the miserable job market already plaguing Orlando and haven't regretted it at all. IT jobs here - in particular - are plentiful and with even minimal experience you can pull in a salary that doesn't leave your anus red.
    (driven) 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX - stock for now
    (parked) 1999 Eclipse GST - EVOIII 16G, Tsudo downpipe/catback, SSAC FMIC, HKS SSQV, Hallman Pro MBC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmead09 View Post
    I need a job
    me and you both

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are a sales person, orlando is the place for you!
    go on craigslist and look at the 100+ jobs for "time share resale", low intrest rate reduction, closers, ect ect.
    but if you can't sell dont come down IMO, i've bin here since i was 5 now im 19, and ya i dont have much experience but when you go to apply at burger king and have a resume and its full of refrences and such, and STILL get turned down because jose wants his ppls working there, then it hits you
    Last edited by kylescott; 08-20-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jobs are out there, the problem is that employers aren't advertising them. Instead they are putting them on their websites in hopes that candidates will visit that.
    Quote Originally Posted by QBANBOY407 View Post
    i guess theres no american dream :'(
    It was better in Cuba
    Quote Originally Posted by slim240sx View Post
    U sir have never had my meat on your grill :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whos not looking for a job now days

OF Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kylescott View Post
    if you are a sales person, orlando is the place for you!
    go on craigslist and look at the 100+ jobs for "time share resale", low intrest rate reduction, closers, ect ect.
    but if you can't sell dont come down IMO, i've bin here since i was 5 now im 19, and ya i dont have much experience but when you go to apply at burger king and have a resume and its full of refrences and such, and STILL get turned down because jose wants his ppls working there, then it hits you
    ive been here 23 years now and what you said is the damn truth. but im so ****ing broke that i cant even lave the damn state. like i always tell everyone....orlando is a trap....****, florida is a trap.
    1991 honda accord w/ h22a lsd (rip)
    2002 mazda protege5 (slow)

Thread Information