User Tag List

Banned!!!!1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSLR External Monitor

So I just picked up my new T2i, lenses, and Rode mic but I still want to get an external monitor. I've been shopping around and I've seen a few good ones but they're usually in the $600-1500 price range. I kind of have an idea to get some type of Tablet like the iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab ect. and somehow make it into a monitor. I found this off brand tablet made by Archos. Its a 8.9" tablet with Windows 7 and has a USB port 1GHz Intel Atom processor and HD 1080p video. My question is can I make it work as a external monitor? Heres the link for the tablet from Archos and just lmk what you guys thinks.

ARCHOS

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know the iPad can be worked to control DSLR's.

It's kinda cool
    www.facebook.com/99slobra

Couple of K5's. Lifted.

Molon Labe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can use a laptop as an external monitor and control my T1i through my laptop, so I assume you could do the same with a tablet.
    Socially Liberal;
    Fiscally Conservative;
    Politically Independent.

Flickr Razzi

Banned!!!!1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucretius View Post
    I can use a laptop as an external monitor and control my T1i through my laptop, so I assume you could do the same with a tablet.
    I just installed that EOS Utility program that comes with the camera and it lets you control the camera and use Live View for recording. Looks like I'll be ordering that Windows 7 tablet next month and install the program on there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also use the EOS program to add copyright info to your camera.
    Socially Liberal;
    Fiscally Conservative;
    Politically Independent.

Flickr Razzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I'm planning on doing with my setup:

http://fstoppers.com/ipad/

Banned!!!!1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj Z View Post
    This is what I'm planning on doing with my setup:

http://fstoppers.com/ipad/
    Looks cool but you always need wifi to connect to the iPad? With the setup I'm going with the tablet has a full sized USB port and runs Windows 7 so I can install the EOS Utility program and use the Live View option plus I can have everything save to the tablets hard drive via USB. The tablet comes with a 60GB internal HD which is a regular netbook/laptop HD. I could always upgrade the HD to a 120GB one and be able to save everything on it when I'm using the monitor. I'll spend less money buying the tablet and upgrading the HD vs. buying a 16GB or 32GB iPad and buying that app and SD card. Oh and obviously I'll have a lot more memory than the iPad.
    Last edited by EckSyle; 02-15-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EckSyle View Post
    Looks cool but you always need wifi to connect to the iPad? With the setup I'm going with the tablet has a full sized USB port and runs Windows 7 so I can install the EOS Utility program and use the Live View option plus I can have everything save to the tablets hard drive via USB. The tablet comes with a 60GB internal HD which is a regular netbook/laptop HD. I could always upgrade the HD to a 120GB one and be able to save everything on it when I'm using the monitor. I'll spend less money buying the tablet and upgrading the HD vs. buying a 16GB or 32GB iPad and buying that app and SD card. Oh and obviously I'll have a lot more memory than the iPad.
    No you don't need wifi. You just use the iPad wifi to connect to the camera.

No wifi in the internet use is required.
    www.facebook.com/99slobra

Couple of K5's. Lifted.

Molon Labe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EckSyle View Post
    watch the video. It explains it all. You do NOT need to have wifi all the time.

Banned!!!!1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    No you don't need wifi. You just use the iPad wifi to connect to the camera.

No wifi in the internet use is required.
    watch the video. It explains it all. You do NOT need to have wifi all the time.
    Oh.. well I still rather get the tablet lol I can have an extra 60GB-120GB of usable memory while recording video in 1080p plus I still have 2 32GB SD's. I'm ordering my grip for the T2i soon so my battery life will double and I'll have almost 4 times as much storage memory with the tablet. Seems like a better deal all around for me and its exactly what I'm looking for.

OF Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea you would have more storage options if you go with something windows based...

doc and dj were correct though, depending on which version of eye-fi card you use you don't always need a router on location with you. If you are using their top of the line model (pro x2 I think its called) it does support ad-hoc networks also (aka no router)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the fstopppers way is capable of live view. You need to either use hdmi or usb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gado View Post
    I don't think the fstopppers way is capable of live view. You need to either use hdmi or usb.
    Correct about the iPad deal, but I also believe that to be the same for the EOS Utility. I dont think anything is capable of live view mode. If it IS, please correct me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *EOS utility also you to use a computer monitor for live view.
    Socially Liberal;
    Fiscally Conservative;
    Politically Independent.

Flickr Razzi

Banned!!!!1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct about the iPad deal, but I also believe that to be the same for the EOS Utility. I dont think anything is capable of live view mode. If it IS, please correct me.
    EOS Utility is capable of Live View for pictures and videos. It also allows you to save any pictures or video you take to save directly to the computers hard drive instead of the SD card. Thats why I'm going to get the tablet. It runs Windows 7, I can connect the T2i to the tablet via USB run EOS Utility open Live View and save everything directly to the 60GB hard drive. Once I'm done I can open the file and play it in 1080p on the tablet. I'll save more money and have a lot more memory.

iPad 16GB $500 iPad 32GB $600 iPad 64GB $700 Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB SD $130. So thats $630-$930 depending on that iPad you get.

Vs.

Archos 9 Tablet PC 60GB HD $450, Western Digital 120GB Netbook HD $60, and I already have 2 Dane Elec High Speed 32 GB Class 10 SD's $120 for both. Everything here comes out to $630.

So I can get 184GB of usable memory for my T2i with the tablet and my 2 SD's vs. getting a 8GB Eye-Fi Pro SD and iPad 16GB. Oh and the iPad only plays back 720p..

Thread Information