User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    30ft? That's it? Run cat5e thru attic and down said wall if you have attic access. If you need a cat5e wall jack let me know I got boxes.

If you can't:

Two things to consider of in a wireless network. Transmit power (to reach distances) and receiver sensitivity. Wii's use crappy little USB sticks that lack any power or a real antenna.

You can try to upgrade the antenna on your wireless router to be more sensitive to the Wii's crappy little wifi thing. You can try a better quality router/AP like I posted. Or you could get a little wifi CPE and hook it RJ45 to the wii http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-...oco/Detail.bok
    Quote Originally Posted by 240sxOwner View Post
    W....t.....F....?

Where the heck did PCI cards come into play?
    just saying in reguards to what ric said.

even tho its a wii, the usb wifi stick is a pretty standard device, only a small flash chip is programed with it's 'ID' different than the windows pc version of the same usb wifi stick.

the advantage of a usb wifi stick is that the usb cable can be long and have no effect on the RF signal, vs a pci/internal wifi which your stuck using coax antenna cable which will have an effect on the RF signal..

plus with their circuitry for the RF tx/rx splitter and amplifier being so close to the actual processor and rf driver you dont get as much noise compaired to again an internal/pci card which would need again more coax antenna cable, solder and tnc/sma connectors..

p.s. i dont own a wii so i dont know if the wii's usb wifi is really a pos or what. but i have used/tested a number of usb wifi stick's
    wut

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wii has internal wifi.

Ric
    OF Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an antenna in a USB stick is like.... 5mm in size and maybe 1db? lol.

You don't see antenna gain loss until you start hitting many feet. Standard RG58 wifi antenna wire looses roughly 20db per 100ft. On a 1 meter antenna cable, no worries.

Speaking of suck.... the damn Iphone4 internal wireless is trash. Direct line of sight to my external AP is only about 250ft, any further and the Iphone doesn't have enough transmit power to connect and drops. Even my 4yo compaq laptop is good for nearly 1800ft!

I'm curious to see what this hugeeeee 10db omni does. It's like 4ft tall. I really want a 14+db sector antenna with 180 degree signal, but I don't have $500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gado View Post
    The Wii has internal wifi.
    that answers that
    wut

OF Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a wii and a xbox 360 both about 20ft away from my wap. Both gained about 2 bars and much better quality overall flashing to dd-wrt and tweaking. I would say try it as i was going to upgrade my router until i flashed it and best of all its free. I stream 1080p 5:1 moves over my wireless which i couldnt even begin to do before flashing. I disabled ack timing completely which helped my wifes laptop which is about 30ft away in our bedroom. Keep in mind all of these clients (360, wii, laptop) must pass through the exterior wall back into the inside and for the laptop back into another room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an antenna in a USB stick is like.... 5mm in size and maybe 1db? lol.

You don't see antenna gain loss until you start hitting many feet. Standard RG58 wifi antenna wire looses roughly 20db per 100ft. On a 1 meter antenna cable, no worries.

Speaking of suck.... the damn Iphone4 internal wireless is trash. Direct line of sight to my external AP is only about 250ft, any further and the Iphone doesn't have enough transmit power to connect and drops. Even my 4yo compaq laptop is good for nearly 1800ft!

I'm curious to see what this hugeeeee 10db omni does. It's like 4ft tall. I really want a 14+db sector antenna with 180 degree signal, but I don't have $500
    you may think that because it is small, it does not have any power, but its not always true

and yes your talking thicker antenna wire

also your using db wrong fyi ;-)

just so you know here is a little bit of info about the type of antenna's most pci add on cards and most home router/ap's with external antenna's use

http://martybugs.net/wireless/rubberducky.cgi

you can get better but just so you know the basics for comparison
    wut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a snip from a site with a little bit of not well worded info but you get the idea, plus some pictures to help you guys identify the types of connectors

"LMR-195 vs RG58 Cable
    The importance of using a low-loss antenna cable is often overlooked. The signal loss in an antenna cable (dB) can cause a huge reduction in efficiency. For every 3 dB lost in the antenna cable, the transmitter power will be reduced to half before reaching the antenna. Many of the antenna cables found on the market are manufactured with RG58 cable. "

http://www.infinitecables.com/wirele...na-cables.html

more info
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-58
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable
    wut

Ric
    OF Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to handle wi-fi in any situation, home or business... is to ditch the "built in" radio and install access points where needed. No "signal loss" with cat5! I really like these units

http://www.engeniustech.com/index.ph...design-and-poe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to handle wi-fi in any situation, home or business... is to ditch the "built in" radio and install access points where needed. No "signal loss" with cat5! I really like these units

http://www.engeniustech.com/index.ph...design-and-poe
    those are pretty cool :-) poe is nice
    wut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try these guys for your cables.
    They can do custom.
    Lex Tec - Coaxial, Twinaxial and Low Loss RF Antenna Cables

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information