Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Xbox 360 Repair Guy TheOnlyErik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Engineers/EGN Students in the House

Hey guys.

I am currently a UCF student of Aerospace Engineering.

I was suppose to graduate in spring 2011, realistically next spring. However, I have found myself in a position that am looking at another 3 years of school. I got this information from one of the CECS advisors. I am pretty much bottlenecked by math, as I have to take one class per semester for the next 3 in order to open pre-req. to other classes.

That is the not the main point of the thread I guess. Just wondering who here is currently in the UCF engineering program, where and what year.

Also, who is graduated from UCF with an engineering degree? Field, currently working? etc.

Or anyone for that matter with an engineering degree, who might want to give pointers to all of us out there striving to get into the field.

I personally feel I was born to be an engineer, I love what I do (currently in manufacturing engineering and loving it, tedious though.)

Just want to know what OF has to offer for advice, knowledge, etc.

Thanks.
    Member.of.[Z3Ro-UNiT]

OrlandoForums Xbox360 GuRu.
    ----PM Me For 360 Repairs or Modding----
    ----PS3 Repairs and Modding----
    ----Wii Modding Available----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aerospace Engineering as well.
    Junior year and its frustrating, but I've made it this far so the only option is to keep going. It's hard but very possible, study hard and pay attention to what the prof. is saying if not......try to teach yourself as much as possible ahead of time
    I'm angry..I think something is burning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a second year Mechanical Engineering student at UCF. I haven't really gotten into any engineering classes yet because I was bottle necked by math as well (started in College Algebra). Engineering classes don't open up until you have completed at least Calculus 2.

I hear that it is difficult to obtain an Engineering Degree by yourself and that you should study with your classmates because some people will understand something that you won't and vice versa.

I am content with that fact that I will be here for at least 5 years until 2015. I also hear it will be challenging as a whole but I couldn't be so passionate about studying anything else.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Computer Engineer here.

didn't go to UCF, But the school I went to shares the curriculum ( Along with Electrical Engineering, Civil, Mech, etc)

All I can say is internships are your best friend. Co-ops with NASA (at Goddard flight center) would help immensely. Work for free any time you can. Even if it's doing b*tch work for a local engineering firm, they'll always have you in mind should they need an extra hand. I learned that its a lot less about what you know/what experience you have so much as who you know and what connections you have.

Boeing has great opportunities as well, especially if you're willing to relocate. I'd say put resumes out there now with graduation dates clear. You never know who is looking for a second/third year student to mold into their specs.

I'm a Systems Analyst for a local govt agency, and I love my job. Salary isnt out of this world for an enginering degree, but it is a starting salary and, as time goes by, our profession's promotions get VERY nice pay hikes (especially in private firms). Don't rush it.

I'll be getting my MS soon, although I haven't decided if it will be at UCF of DeVry. I eventually want to get a PhD in Biomed Engineering, so I have to see which route will take me there.

HTH if anyone has questions.
    'Formerly ElBorintegra, Dirk Diggler, and one of the Hyus'
    -'13 Volvo XC60 T6 R Design Polestar
    '13 Ford Edge Sport AWD

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    I don't believe in sigs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <--- Civil Engineering Student, 5th Year Senior

For the lower classmen, listen to Hyu and get as much industry experience as you can. Be actively involve in clubs, go to Regionals and compete. Become a team leader. In today's job market, your degree guarantees nothing. I know several Civil Engineering graduates that are competing for jobs where the starting salaries are in the low-40s, in the past they would be in the mid-50s. Do whatever you can to set yourself apart.
    OFH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This ^^
    '13 Ford Edge Sport AWD

I don't believe in sigs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aerospace Engineering as well.

I'm in the first semester of my junior year. I find it very demanding, but I keep looking towards the end and the joy of getting that degree. I'm in Statics right now and it's kicking my butt. I have to step it up these next two months because I'm not about repeating classes....too expensive.
    Hey! hey! Can I talk to you, about my friend named Jesus?
    Hey! Hey! Excuse me...I'm so sorry, but can I talk to you about my friend named Jesus?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Way to go.

I had a diluted version of statics/dynamics combined, since the only time I'll use those theories are when I'm hurling a bat at the office space fax machine.
    '13 Ford Edge Sport AWD

I don't believe in sigs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wendell- I have Dynamics by Hibbeler, if you need it.
    OFH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next semester I am going to take Calculus 2 and I hear that it is insanely hard at UCF. How bad is it really? I am also going to take Physics 1 with Calculus 2. Calculus 1 seems pretty easy but I doubt the two are comparable in terms of difficulty.

Also over the summer I am going to take Calculus 3 and Statics. I heard that isn't too bad for the summer. What do you guys think since a lot of you are at least on or past that level? Any advice and I would greatly appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thermo will kick your ass!!! just saying =)
    I'm angry..I think something is burning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha ha ha yeah I hear about that class too. Thanks for the warning. After this semester it will get serious. I know it is doable; I just need to work very hard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Calc 2 isn't bad as long as you practice a lot. You basically learn the hard stuff, then you learn easier ways to do that problem (yet somehow it's harder). Just do the same problems 100 times till it's almost mechanical.

Have you taken diffEq yet?
    '13 Ford Edge Sport AWD

I don't believe in sigs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausländer View Post
    Next semester I am going to take Calculus 2 and I hear that it is insanely hard at UCF. Also over the summer I am going to take Calculus 3 and Statics.
    I took Calc 2 at the community college and struggled with it, because it's mostly memorization (and that aint my thing). Here's an idea of what you might cover--> Pauls Online Notes : Calculus II

And I liked Calc 3, mainly because the professor taught the class using applications. Using integrals to calculating mixing of fluids, to calculate terminal velocity of a skydiver, etc. I found it interesting.

If you struggle with the math at UCF, you can also dual-enroll and take them at a community college, where they are a) generally easier b) the professor generally speak English c) you can actually approach the professor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyu View Post
    Have you taken diffEq yet?
    At UCF, DiffyQ is usually taken after Calc III.
    OFH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im 10 credits deep into a BA in Mech Eng lol. I plan to take as much of the math in valencia as i can ( tend to be easier than a university. ) I'm still unsure where i want to go with that BA but I guess I will figure it out. I want to do something in the automotive industry.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I took Calc 2 at the community college and struggled with it, because it's mostly memorization (and that aint my thing). Here's an idea of what you might cover--> Pauls Online Notes : Calculus II

And I liked Calc 3, mainly because the professor taught the class using applications. Using integrals to calculating mixing of fluids, to calculate terminal velocity of a skydiver, etc. I found it interesting.

If you struggle with the math at UCF, you can also dual-enroll and take them at a community college, where they are a) generally easier b) the professor generally speak English c) you can actually approach the professor.
    All of this.

At UCF, DiffyQ is usually taken after Calc III.
    ahh, i was not aware of that I took it after Calc II and before Numerical Analysis and Discrete Structures. DiffEq was the only math class I didn't get an A in. I got a D.

MatLab was my best friend throughout all those classes.
    '13 Ford Edge Sport AWD

I don't believe in sigs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I graduated a few months ago in May with my mechanical engineering degree. As they mentioned above, definitely get an internship if you can regardless of pay because when interviewing, that experience will definitely give you the upper hand and they look for experience in the field. Without that, it makes it very competitive to get a job unless you have some kind of connection. I will say that Calc 2 was the most difficult math course of them all, it all got easier from there. I realized that as classes went on, I ended up trying and focusing more and my grades were only improving, and the classes seem to make more sense as you go I feel. I got all A's and 1 B through my entire senior year so its definitely doable I will agree with studying with friends, as long as your friends are just as determined. I have ran into many students that will just use you for your knowledge and use you to cheat, those are definitely not the people that you want to study with. I usually found myself in a room with a white board with a few people and we would study and it was very beneficial. Its definitely worth the work for the degree.

Xbox 360 Repair Guy TheOnlyErik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone so far for sharing knowledge! Keep it coming! I am liking the turn-out of this thread.
    Member.of.[Z3Ro-UNiT]

OrlandoForums Xbox360 GuRu.
    ----PM Me For 360 Repairs or Modding----
    ----PS3 Repairs and Modding----
    ----Wii Modding Available----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that really sucked that I notice now that I have a job is that making/reading/fixing drawings is very very important in the field. Every engineer needs to know how to do them and I deal with them all the time and UCF didnt teach us crap about drafting and drawings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikensetzu View Post
    Thermo will kick your ass!!! just saying =)
    True statement! Especially with Dr. Moore :/
    - Noel

Listen to Trance, House, and/or Progressive music? Check out my mixes, I promise you'll love em

Vehicular Résumé
    '93 Nissan 240sx Hatch (Current)
    '91 Nissan 240sx Hatch (Sold)
    '91 Nissan Maxima SE (Died [Blown Tranny @ 250k+ mi])

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information